PDA

View Full Version : ScotchBrite Pads for Matte Stainless ?

bykerhd
March 01, 2009, 01:17
I've got a Thompson Encore rifle in stainless that needs some attention given to the finish. Bright shiny wear spots in a couple locations and solvent resistant stains, mostly small spots, on some of the exterior parts.
The rifle was used for black powder and one ? of the former owners confused Stain - LESS with Stain-PROOF. :uhoh:
A common error, but I would like to clean up the exterior a bit.

Which ScotchBrite Pad(s) will give me the best result in restoring the original matte finish ? If any ?

Slo cat
March 01, 2009, 01:35
Blasting it would come close to the factory satin finish. Post a WTBorrow and maybe someone near you has one and would help you out.

Best Regards,
Slo cat

erhauser
March 01, 2009, 12:23
Industrial Scotchbrite (TM) wheels are routinely used by manufacturers to produce the stainless brushed finishes. Using a wheel on an electric drill it is relatively easy to duplicate them.

I used the purple ones to good effect on kitchen sinks (I have not worked in that division for many years so I can't remember the exact sequence of color coding of the Scotchbrite (TM) products.)

The same effects can be obtained by hand, but it takes a lot of elbow grease. Common green kitchen pads are basically the same agressiveness as the purple ones. The only difference is the purple are industrial and the quality control specifications are tighter. Grey pads are much less aggressive. White pads use talc as the abrasive thus they are not agressive at all.

The brushed finish produced by wheels is different from the mat finish produced by blasting. It just depends what appearance you want.

bykerhd
March 01, 2009, 18:54
This job doesn't call for perfection. But I hope to learn a bit in the process.
There are plenty of spots to putter about on and still enough original finish to see whether the job is going the way it should.

NoNotAgain
March 01, 2009, 20:39
The gray Scotchbrite pad #7448 is the one that you want. This pad uses silicon carbide for its abrasive, not aluminum oxide.

I use this pad for my Ruger stainless steel rifles to remove the shiney spots that happen when the barrel gets bumped.

Cut the pad into strips lengthwise and use like crocus cloth.

Para Driver
March 01, 2009, 21:33
bead blasting gives the desired finish, but I don't know what kind of beads??
SMK may chime in..

frontier
March 02, 2009, 00:30
I can send you a red and grey pad if you would like to try them and see if they will do what you need. The red is a little more coarse than the gray. If you want them just send me a PM with your info.

bykerhd
March 02, 2009, 22:28
Thanks for the offer frontier. I plan to check a couple places Wednesday.
Plus, it gives me an excuse to get out of the house for a while.:wink:
If it doesn't pan out I'll let you know.

bykerhd
March 05, 2009, 20:53
I picked up some gray & green Scotchbrite pads at Lowes yesterday.
They cleaned up the rifle pretty well and fast. The finish is not what I would describe as matte.
But, it's close enough and looks much better. In my opinion anyway.

The worst of the pitting is still somewhat evident, but the discolorations and slight stuff smoothed up just fine.

Green pads are suppose to be equivalent to 0 steel wool and gray equivalent to 00. According to the packages anyway.

Thanks guys.