PDA

View Full Version : Note to all Gunsmiths, ATF new rules.

Court in Fl
February 28, 2009, 13:04
Now get this, if you need to fit any of the replacement parts (US parts included) you need to have a manufacturer's FFL.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/atf_ruling2009-2.pdf

What is the ATF smoking ?

Court in FL.

L Haney
February 28, 2009, 13:48
Just my take on that Court, but I don't get "fitting" a replacement part as what they are talking about. Granted, the weasels could have come out and said "If you gotta' fit the crappy replacement drop in part to make it drop in, this don't apply", but they didn't. They are pretty clear about "machining" operations on those parts, and that smacks to me like something specific that has come up in the past. I have no clue what.

Lowell

eta: I read that thing again. They DO have a good case on a manufacturing violation if a gunsmith has to cut a barrel shoulder to headspace a replacement barrel. That is a machine operation that is specifically mentioned. Once again, a marvel of government "clarification" that opens more questions than it answers.

HawaiiFALer
February 28, 2009, 14:24
Originally posted by Court in Fl
Now get this, if you need to fit any of the replacement parts (US parts included) you need to have a manufacturer's FFL.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/atf_ruling2009-2.pdf

What is the ATF smoking ?

Court in FL.
Are the Feds trying to end kit-building????? :? :? :? :fal:

Ron Walker
February 28, 2009, 14:37
This has since been clarified. The key phrase is "for the purposes of sale or distribution". Seems there were several dealers and gunsmiths who were buying kits and receivers, assembling and selling them as inventory, and were doing a considerable number at a time. A gunsmith may accept parts and receivers from a customer for the purpose of building a custom rifle or handgun and do what is necessary within legal limits to satisfy the customer. He may not buy his own parts and receiver and assemble them for purposes of sale without a Mfg. license. Used to be, the ATF would allow up to 7 assemblies a year without requiring the license, but some greedy unethical dealers and 'smiths put an end to it for all of us. You see, too many of them were being found in the Mexico Drug Gangs, some were FA. Ron

rcnpthfndr
February 28, 2009, 15:23
Originally posted by HawaiiFALer

Are the Feds trying to end kit-building????? :? :? :? :fal:

i read in the last couple weeks where Obama specifically mentioned banning parts kits. goes hand in hand with the state dept. looking to ban Imported ammo.

State Department Floating Ammo Import Ban

Published: 02/19/2009 Author: -submitted by: Larry Bailey
Posted On: February 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM By: Kathy

State Department Floating Ammo Import Ban
It looks like20those who said the Obama Administration would strike while the iron is hot may have been correct, and the Administration may be doing it in a way that does not require them to even get a vote in Congress. In this morning's edition of the Shooting Wire, Jim Shepherd writes that Canadian officials have it on "good authority" our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.
Ammos listed for this rumored ban include the .50BMG, 7.62x39mm Soviet, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester , 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. Additionally, we're heari ng that an expansion of this proposed ban might be broadened to include the 6.8mm SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and ..45 ACP- among others.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance. Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.
Shepherd continues that there may also be a plan to ban exports on certain firearms to Canada from the US, resulting in the State Department hammering gun manufacturers, distributors and exporters in the United States while simultaneously making firearms -and ammunition - ownership and acquisition more difficult for Canadians.

Many in the pro-rights community have said since the election that Obama could circumvent Congress by using regulations in his various cabinet dep artments to attack gun owners. It appears that it may have already begun.

http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2009/02/state-department-floating-ammo-import.html