PDA

View Full Version : Brit L1a1 Gas Tube Fit

atgr09
February 26, 2009, 22:08
On the threded end of the gas tube there are notches for venting gasses. when I tighten the gas tube all the way down (not to tight) the notches cover the vent hole / regulator hole.
Do I leave it loose or tighten it more to line up the notches? :fal:

sturmgrenadiere
February 26, 2009, 22:15
Tighten just enough so the two flats on the threaded end of the gas tube go far enough into the gasblock so that the retaining pin keeps the gas tube from unscrewing. DO NOT screw it all the way in. Even once the retaining pin is in place, there should be some slight play.

Others might better articulate this or post a pic.

Ben

atgr09
February 26, 2009, 23:21
Thanks that helped. I found out that the gas tube pin was missing I used a stainless steal drill bit to make a pin.

sturmgrenadiere
February 26, 2009, 23:34
Yeah, that works. Years ago I used wire coat hanger cut to length. Moral of the story is don't screw it too far in.

dirtyrice
February 27, 2009, 01:21
Yeah I found out the hard way when mine was missing. Lol the gun wouldnt cycle. I still havent put one in as everyone suggests using a hanger but I want something more sturdy. Drill bit sounds alot sturdier. Any other suggestions?

elbo
February 27, 2009, 12:30
Originally posted by dirtyrice
Yeah I found out the hard way when mine was missing. Lol the gun wouldnt cycle. I still havent put one in as everyone suggests using a hanger but I want something more sturdy. Drill bit sounds alot sturdier. Any other suggestions? :rofl:

You have a 100 lb crate. Are you going to use the 2 ton capacity pallet jack or the 10 ton fork truck?

dirtyrice
February 27, 2009, 16:54
ok.... wtf ever that was about. I've been told a hanger will be fine as its just a place holder to keep the tube from moving. But even the guy above said you had to be careful not to screw it in all the way im assuming cuz the hanger piece will bend?

Course I never thought about that when its very short it is alot stronger.

atgr09
February 27, 2009, 22:58
As for hanger or stainless I believe the original pin is suppose to be stainless, so I went with that.

Changing gears.
Went to the range to day to test it out. Set gas regulator to about 8 and no cycling, turned it down to 4 no go, set it to 0 still nothing.

Pulled the pin out and screwed the gas tube all the way in (hand tight only). Then backed it out just enough to align the the notches and put the pin back in. Set the regulator to 6 and it started to cycle, but only throwing the brass about a foot away, turned it down to 4 and it is cycling jest right.

Good learning curve. :D

sturmgrenadiere
February 27, 2009, 23:23
Glad it worked out. The danger of over tightening the gas tube is it can cause the piston head to bind.

Dirty... I think in his example he was simply playing on the fact that the piece of hanger is all you need for the job...

dirtyrice
February 27, 2009, 23:50
I got it..