PDA

View Full Version : Astoundingly Staggeringly Stupid Questions Department.

cliffg
February 24, 2009, 16:40
I am known for these, John, so I shall not dissapoint:

1. The rear sling swivel stud on the side of my new SA58 Para does not rotate about itself. The sling swivel will flip from side to side, but stays firmly in the vertical position. Is it supposed to do that, or rotate?

2. One of the front handguards appears to be bowed out slightly at the metal at the forward end. I though is might be insufficient screw down, but no, the plastic seems to be warped out slightly. Leaves about a 5/32" gap at the foreend. What to do I need to do to get another one? I don't want to send one back and leave by new honey semi-dressed.

3. How do I tell what "number" front sight post I have? It has several numbers on it. It seems pretty short, but I think I need a shorter one as I'm still shooting about 8" low at 200m.

4. What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Yours,

.....CLIFFORD
baton rouge

brownknees
February 24, 2009, 16:43
The number of your front sight post isn't actually a number at all. Its a set of "dots" between the numbers. The numbers are just a reference for dialing in a zero.
one dot=#1
2 dots=#2 and so on.
African, or European swallow?:smile:
As for the rest I'm not sure so I'll do something amazingly unusual & shut up.:biggrin:

W.E.G.
February 24, 2009, 16:50
The swivel is probably frozen from whatever finish was applied.

Unless DSA has come up with a re-design of the FAL rear sling swivel, I bet if you FORCE IT, it will move.

The handguard situation is endemic to the DSA product. The ends are metal - not plastic - although the appearance is quite deceptive. I've "been told" you can thump the splayed part with a rubber mallet and FORCE IT to whatever shape you want it to be.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/DSAhandguard-smaller.jpg

old pic - shitty camera
see how the speaker magnets are attracted to the end of the handguard

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/DSAhandguardwithmagnet.jpg

cliffg
February 24, 2009, 17:03
Originally posted by brownknees
African, or European swallow?:smile:

I don't know that...

(Silly poster is hurled into the Gorge of Eternal Peril)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

panzer
February 24, 2009, 17:07
The rear sling swivel stud on the side of my new SA58 Para does not rotate about itself

That PARA SWIVEL will not rotate around all the way. not like a regular one. so yes it is normal.

W.E.G.
February 24, 2009, 17:30
Ooops!

My bad.

I didn't see the word "para" in my first reading.
I was thinking STANDARD stock.
Please disregard my comments about the sling swivel.

I have an Argy para that won't rotate 360 either.

panzer
February 24, 2009, 17:35
I kinda like it like that. :wink: figured you missed it.

xcpd69
February 24, 2009, 22:37
Originally posted by cliffg
I am known for these, John, so I shall not dissapoint:

1. The rear sling swivel stud on the side of my new SA58 Para does not rotate about itself. The sling swivel will flip from side to side, but stays firmly in the vertical position. Is it supposed to do that, or rotate?

.....CLIFFORD
baton rouge

The shaft for the Para swivel is notched for the cross pin that secures it. If you want it to swivel any further, you need to turn that notch into a groove completely around the shaft.

There was probably a deliberate reason for the notch instead of a groove. But having been occupied with filling my diapers, in another location at the time of the design, I wasn't advised nor consulted.

However, the experience of filling diapers will come in handy in the not too distant future, I've been told.

When?

Depends........

DSARep
February 25, 2009, 08:41
Looks like the regulars beat me to this one. Thanks guys!

John

cliffg
February 26, 2009, 21:41
Originally posted by brownknees
The number of your front sight post isn't actually a number at all. Its a set of "dots" between the numbers. The numbers are just a reference for dialing in a zero.
one dot=#1
2 dots=#2 and so on.
No dots. The two detents for the sight adjustment tool, and the numbers "0", "5", "10", "15".

My Belgian 50.00 does have 2 "dots", and the sight post is a bit taller.

So is mine the shortest available?

brownknees
February 26, 2009, 23:41
Yep that'd be a zero dot.