PDA

View Full Version : Socom Oprod problem

wayne in boca
February 24, 2009, 07:31
When I install a Sadlak or Badger National Match spring guide in my Socom,it feels like dragging a chain through gravel when I pull the bolt to the rear.Works fine with a USGI spring guide.Well,I decided to get to the bottom of this.Pulled the oprod,and inserted a dental pick.I discovered a bunch of ridges and cavities that are definitely causing the problem,even has the same raspy "feel" to it when I drag the pick across them,even hangs up completely in a couple spots.I tried sanding the interior with some fine grit wrapped around a dowel rod,with limited success.Is this something Springfield Armory would even care about?Operation of the rifle is flawless with a USGI spring guide,so maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Survey Punk
February 24, 2009, 08:27
Do some measurements of the 2 guides. Springfield won't care about your problem. I say go back to what works. It's not a match gun.
And I'll add, keep disassembly of your gas system to a minimum. Your use of abrasive and dowell makes my teeth hurt. If you have to work on something work on the cheaper part.

Drive on!
JB

wayne in boca
February 28, 2009, 05:27
I haven't disassembled my gas system,so your teeth must be hurting from some other cause.I was attempting to polish the inside of the oprod's spring tube,certainly a worthwhile endeavor.I believe the roughness I feel is from tool chatter,since it has a washboard kind of feel to it.

charles isaac
February 28, 2009, 07:35
Most people that are really into M14 type rifles swear by the forged GI oprods. They are pricey. Someone should be along with some good examples of cast oprods VS forged and I have seen 2 snapped cast Springfield oprods. I do think the cast Springfield receivers are fine though.

Originally posted by Survey Punk
Springfield won't care about your problem.

Agree. I have a lot of moneys worth of their guns but I have had bad luck with their service dept.