PDA

View Full Version : Israeli HB handguards

T65
February 17, 2009, 08:34
Can some of you folks tell me what all is needed to put the handguards on an Israeli FAL? I started a list of what I 'think' is needed.
both handguard grills with wood attached
screw to hold then together on the rifle
rear retainer ring
one or two spacers (Gunthings are the only place I can find them)

Am I missing any parts in the list?

Also, will the standard gas tube and components fit?

vmtz
February 17, 2009, 09:16
Just need a HB retaining ring. Sadly, the best way is to remove the barrel to place it on. You could mod the handguards to fit a standard retaining ring.

Oh, and you'll also need a screwdriver.

Fr. Vince

T65
February 17, 2009, 09:55
Okay, I should be ready to go then. I don't have any of the parts here but I do know the barrel in not on the receiver yet. I have also found a Isreali HB gas tube at DSA so I'm thinking the standard tube won't work. Since I have never had one apart I wondered if there were parts under those guards in all the pictures of complete rifles I have seen. Thanks for the info!

One more question...sorry. Any of you know were I can pick up some pin gauges to set the headspace that won't break the bank? I loaned mine out years ago and can't remember who to.

elbo
February 17, 2009, 12:25
Originally posted by T65
I have also found a Isreali HB gas tube at DSA so I'm thinking the standard tube won't work.
yes, Israelis require longer tubes.
You will only need one spacer, there is no place to put a second on HB handguards.

vmtz
February 17, 2009, 12:28
In a pinch you can use an inch tube.

Fr. Vince

270Handiman
February 17, 2009, 17:55
Well, you made me go look around DSA for the Issy lenght gas tube. I see the pistons, but I can't find the Izzy tube. Where did you see it?

Like Vince said, an inch tube will work.

T65
February 18, 2009, 06:11
270Handiman, I put 'Israeli' in the search box and the tube was in the list of parts.