PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms CARR

USMC 0341
February 17, 2009, 03:58
Here is a new - not yet released - Charter Arms product :

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CARR.html

It's a five shot, stainless steel revolver designed to work with rimless rounds. The linked article states that they will be offering this in 45 ACP after 9mm/380 Auto and 40 S&W.

I expect to pick up a 45 when they come out.

BUFF
February 17, 2009, 07:57
It looks like the same system that Ruger used for their first 9mm Speed and Service Sixes. It didn't work very well. Ruger soon replaced it with moon clips.

I think the engineering available to Ruger is probably somewhat more extensive than Charter's. I doubt they will be able to make it work satisfactorily, either.

Deltaten
February 17, 2009, 09:07
Interesting, in that someone is picking up the ball and running with it.

If Charter has managed to clean up QC and fit'nfinish line a bit, these *may* be worth a look. Not so interested in the 9mm; but that .40/five shooter is has serious possibilities.

jdmcomp
February 17, 2009, 12:22
I do not think it looks at all like the late ruger system, at least as I remember it. This appears quite different and no way of knowing how it will work. However, a 45 in a pocket gun would be fun. I agree that F&F on Charter is low but so is the price.

elbo
February 17, 2009, 12:31
going to be a very complicated speed loader.

Deltaten
February 17, 2009, 14:05
elbo:

These *are* the (NY) reload :D

I would imagine that if ya hafta reload a BUG, yer in more trouble than a quick reload would rectify ;)

IIRC, HKS or Safariland made a speed loader for Charter guns. Don't recall if they did one for the 5-shooters, tho it's probable. Perhaps those will fit these ???

Gee.. a little 5-shooter in .45 might be nice , too :D Mebbe a BOGO or "buy three.. get one free deal oughta apply to complete sets LOL

Best,
Paul

Muggzy
February 17, 2009, 15:34
Hk made a speed loader for the 5 shot Bulldog ( 44 spl) Charter-Arms

I wasn't aware of a problem with the rimless cartridges. Was it the extraction? extractor? for the Rugers

badt00d
February 17, 2009, 15:42
A nice little brother for the 625 Smith, if like ya say, the quality is there. It might be worth a second look. :fal:

Timber Wolf
February 19, 2009, 20:33
Needs a shroud or to even be hammerless. A little hammerless .40 revolver would be cute and might find it's way to my home and pocket. If it is just another standard revolver I might as well stick with my old Son-O-Sam Bull Dog.

gunsmoke
February 25, 2009, 00:05
HKS does (did?) indeed make a Charter .44 Speed Loader, I carry six of them in my pockets daily.

Original Charter Target Bulldog w/Pachmayer Compacs
Federal Factory 200 gr. SWCHPS

The .45 CARR is interesting, but frankly, I dig moon clips and would prefer a 5 shot full moon clip.

Para Driver
February 26, 2009, 07:33
it's gotta be the size of a K frame at least, hardly a pocket pistol

yarro
March 10, 2009, 22:25
I too would prefer moon clips. Two per speed loaders pouch, just open up, punch out, drop in and close up. The Ruger that I shot worked fine as long as you punched out the cases with authority. If you did it slowly, the cases could slip back in the cylinder. My Bulldog Pug in .44 Special works fine. I carry it when outdoors with snake shot for slithering critters. Not the fine trigger of my S&W, but it is fine for what it is.

-Yarro

elbo
March 11, 2009, 07:38
Originally posted by Deltaten
elbo:

These *are* the (NY) reload :D

I would imagine that if ya hafta reload a BUG, yer in more trouble than a quick reload would rectify ;)

Engineering problem, the fact that a speedloader would have to hold five rounds against five extractor springs pushing in five directions and be able to shove the cases flush with the cylinder.

hankenglish
March 13, 2009, 10:20
I have a Target Bulldog (a Bulldog with adjustable sights) in .44 Spcl and two of the HK 5-rd speedloaders. I'm not exactly a revolver guy, but I carry it in the woods and when fishing, loaded with 2 snake-shot rounds and 3 solids, with solids in the speedloaders.
The HK speedloaders are gravity-feed, so aren't as fast as the spring-loaded kind. But it's good to have more than 5 rounds.

Hank

PostPoodleShooter
April 11, 2009, 14:29
I want one in .40 for a car gun...

3 inch barrel would be nice, but I'll take a 2 incher...

Illurian00
April 11, 2009, 15:25
I don't think this went anywhere,,,but it was introduced some years ago.

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Medusa_Model_47.htm

xcpd69
April 13, 2009, 23:39
Originally posted by gunsmoke
HKS does (did?) indeed make a Charter .44 Speed Loader, I carry six of them in my pockets daily.

Original Charter Target Bulldog w/Pachmayer Compacs
Federal Factory 200 gr. SWCHPS

The .45 CARR is interesting, but frankly, I dig moon clips and would prefer a 5 shot full moon clip.

I use those same HKS Charter 44 speedloaders for my S&W 696. Works just fine.