PDA

View Full Version : Need a Smith to Thread Barrel....Triad NC

JMPind
February 16, 2009, 01:26
Im looking to get my barrel threaded (standard FAL 9/16-24 LH threads) for a belgian FH. The FH that came on the carbine was set screwed on and Im ditching it.

There are a few gunsmiths listed in the area, but Id rather find someone that I know does good work with FALs.

Im located in the Triad area of NC. Any help finding someone who could help would be great.

While Im in here Ill ask you guys this as well. There are three dimples about 1 1/2" from the end of the muzzle left from where the set screw reliefs were drilled. I was told that a belgian combo device will shroud the barrel 1.8", thus covering the dimples so I dont have to cut the barrel down (which is 17.5" right now, and Im happy with it). Im wondering if this FH will cover the dimples on my barrel as well:

DSA Belgian Type Short Flash Hider (http://www.dsarms.com/Belgian-Type-Short-Flash-Hider/productinfo/002D/)

Here is the thread I made when I first joined. It shows the pictures of when I took the set-screwed flash hider off, leaving the dimples that someone drilled in the barrel:

My Newbie Thread with Pictures (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253642)

Thanks in advance for any help guys :fal:

torquemada055
February 16, 2009, 01:43
Well if Mount Airy, NC isnt far from you go over to gunsnet.net and contact a fellow calls himself SalBo.

Lot's of pics of work he has done and the folks over there swear by him, though some may swear at him also.:rolleyes: :rofl:

JMPind
February 16, 2009, 01:57
No, Mt. Airy isnt far at all. I will sign up over there and check his work out.

But Im still open for any other suggestions.

Thanks torquemada

Ron Walker
February 16, 2009, 13:36
JM, not trying to hijack your thread but by Triad do you mean Winston Salem, Greensboro, High Point ? I'm originally from that area, Trinity High Alum. with many kin in the area. Ron

Survey Punk
February 16, 2009, 14:35
There is a for real gunsmith in Cove City, halfway between New Bern and Kinston. He's pricey but well worth it.
You might want to also contact member Moses. He's in the Western end of the state and this is right up his alley.
PM me if you want the other guys contact info.

JB

JMPind
February 16, 2009, 14:46
Yep Ron, Im right in between Winston, High Point, and Greensboro.

Ill have to check out moses' work also, the Western end of the state is closer to me than New Bern area

Plus Im from Asheville originally, and my family lives there...so I go up there fairly often.

mosbysmen
February 16, 2009, 18:40
moses is a fal guy did a good job on my brothers fal

Bentley8
February 16, 2009, 20:20
I second Moses' work. He's chopped and threaded two barrels for me and did top notch work. Good price and quick turnaround.

I do think that after the barrel is threaded that the Belgian short FH will cover those dimples.

Sounds like you live in Kernersville. K-Vegas, baby!

tac-40
February 16, 2009, 20:35
I too have had moses fix a barrel for me. And his work is outstanding. He uses one of his FAL's to beat the stuffing out of a bunch of us during the Military Rifle matches he puts on. He is pretty close to Charlotte. Check out his sales of muzzle devices in the market place. He makes several different styles and they are also a class act.

JMPind
February 16, 2009, 20:55
Originally posted by Bentley8
I second Moses' work. He's chopped and threaded two barrels for me and did top notch work. Good price and quick turnaround.

I do think that after the barrel is threaded that the Belgian short FH will cover those dimples.

Sounds like you live in Kernersville. K-Vegas, baby!

Thanks, and although I grew up in K-Vegas, I technically live in Walkertown now :P

Originally posted by tac-40
I too have had moses fix a barrel for me. And his work is outstanding. He uses one of his FAL's to beat the stuffing out of a bunch of us during the Military Rifle matches he puts on. He is pretty close to Charlotte. Check out his sales of muzzle devices in the market place. He makes several different styles and they are also a class act.

Thanks, Moses has a PM inbound...so hopefully I will get something figured out soon