PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing an Aluminum Receiver?

Regal Beagal
February 12, 2009, 19:14
OK,
Purchased a JC Higgins model 29 .22 LR rifle that needs a little TLC. The receiver is aluminum and originally phosphate coated and dyed black. At least, that is what I was told by a High Standard officionado..... Anyway from what I can tell the original finish on this receiver was wearing thin so someone spray painted it gloss black to cover up the old finish. I have already eliminated the spray paint but would also like to remove the original finish so I can spray it with Brownell's matte black Alumihyde II which actually is more durable and matches the original finish pretty well as far as color. I thought about bead blasting the receiver with as low a pressure setting as possible but now I am thinking that that may still be to harsh. I also thought about wire brushing it... Give me your expertise on this one, what would you recommend? Thanks! RB

hockeysew
February 12, 2009, 19:36
Degrease-Beadblast-Degrease-warm part to 125 degrees or so-LIGHT coats of Aluma Hyde-No more than 3- Let cure in a dust free place for a week or so.....
Enjoy!

Bead blast(With Glass Beads) wont be too aggressive. Just dont use Aluminum Oxide-It will change dimension on aluminum. I just took some plastic sheeting in the garage and made an impromptu paint booth. The parts being warm will help the AlumaHyde set a touch quicker and runs wont be an issue.

jwaters
February 12, 2009, 21:40
I did a Marlin model 60 with the Brownells bake on, and I didn't remove the finish back then (didn't have a cabinet). I did clean it real good with acetone and steel wool, and then sanded the barrel with fine paper and cleaned with acetone. then heated, sprayed, and then baked.

Turned out pretty good. It was definately a beater and much improved afterwards.

JW

Regal Beagal
February 12, 2009, 22:09
Thanks Folks! Off to the cabinet she goes on Saturday... Yep, I knew that the aluminum oxide would definitely be to harsh but I wasn't sure about the glass bead. I will still probably hold at a pretty decent distance from the gun. The barrel and magazine tube I will be polishing up to 400 grit and rebluing, just to stay with originality. I have already refinished the stock and forearm. First stripping off the brushed on polystain(oook!) then applying a mixture of 50/50 Mr. Clean and bleach cut by a gallon of water and heated to draw out old oils and raise any dings. Then I stained with a cherry oil base stain, applied a couple of coats of sanding sealer and finished with a few coats of laquer (once again the original factory finish). I hope to have her resurrected by the weekend and hopefully out to the range ASAP! Oh, I have learned from past experience that even after preheating the parts prior to finishing with the Alumihyde that you really do need to wait for several days for it to cure before using. Thanks Again! I will try and post some pics when I have her finished in the .22 forum. :shades: