PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Woes

L Haney
February 07, 2009, 14:37
I'm jonesing bad for a lathe. I got projects out the ass I'm wanting to tackle, from gun related to things more esoteric and even job related. But the problem is, all I can get a line on is BIG stuff. A Cincinnati that is huge, to a LeBlond that is almost as big. All the reasonable sized stuff is pursued by old retired bums who have all day to watch the innerrnets and pounce on the ones that will fit in a garage. AAARRRGGGHHH. I just know I'm gonna' end up with that big one from Columbus that will probably rip my arms out cause it'll be the first one I've ever used. Not to mention having to rent a huge fork lift at each end of the transport plus a flatbed. Jeez, why couldn't I have been one of those idiots that just liked to watch American Idle, or go to flower shows with the wife.

Deltaten
February 07, 2009, 15:00
See now.. the difference a'tween you and me is just that I know better'n ta put a huge, metal, powered device at my disposal! ;)

My luck, first time I'd fire that revolving menace up; I'd end up removing/slicing/mangling non-specific body parts beyond recognition. Hell! I'm dangerous enuff with a file and grinder!

I'm wondering if they make Nerf milling equipment?

best in yer quest,
Paul

L Haney
February 07, 2009, 15:17
Damn Paul, you're such a comfort! :rofl: Tried to buy a Nerf car for the wife a while back, they ain't sellin'. Just seems wrong to be starting out with a monster, 'ya know?

Old Guard Dog
February 07, 2009, 19:49
Check out Grizzly.com. They have two gunsmithing lathes and the cheapest one is only $2995.00. This is an import, but I think you can do what you need with this. What makes a lathe a gunsmithing lathe is the larger spindle bore, and outboard spindle support for a barrel. The spindle size is 40mm (1 5/8"), which will easily take a shotgun barrel for reaming and tapping choke tubes.

They also have some mill/drill combo machines that would work great for drilling for scope mounts, or making picatinny rails.

yovinny
February 07, 2009, 22:55
Big old American iron can be wonderfull, but theirs as many pitfalls as their are assets with them.
Unless you know what you'r doing, know how to evaluate a machine and have plenty of time on you'r hands, trying to find a good used one sucks.
Deals can be had, but their usually few and far between on a smaller machine, especially with tooling.
If I was looking to buy one today, I'd save myself the headaches and just order the grizzly for 3 grand.
If the price looks like too much for hobby level, forget about lathes, as you havent even started with tooling yet.

First hand experience, reviews and some other interesting tid-bit's on those Grizzley lathes over on benchrest.com forum in the gunsmithing section.
Might take a search there, but I'm sure you can find plenty to read about them.
Havent checked in awhile, but overall, I've seen some very positive feedback.
Plus I like the fact that the owner of grizzly spends time there and actually listens to some of the input people have had.

Cheers, YV

shlomo
February 08, 2009, 08:01
Lowell,

Check your PMs. Tempus fugit.