View Full Version : Inch barrel /Metric gas block

February 07, 2009, 00:23
Is it possibe to fit a metric gas block to an inch barrel ?
I'm aware that the inch gas port is angled. How would this be dealt with?


February 07, 2009, 21:30
You have a metric block and an inch barrel? Do you need an inch block?

Court in Fl
February 07, 2009, 21:51
Inch barrels are in short supply.
You could most likely trade the bare inch barrel for a metric one with a gas block.

Court in FL.

February 07, 2009, 21:56
Well, I could actually use a metric block and sleeve, if you know somebody who has one available.

February 08, 2009, 10:50
Yes, inch barrel and metric gas block are what I have and what I have to use. Compatibility issues?

February 08, 2009, 10:55
metric gas port is vertical

inch gas port comes in at an angle

Some have successfully mated the two.
No guarantee that your ports will actually line up when mixing varieties.
Almost impossible to resolve if the ports don't line up right.

February 08, 2009, 10:56
inch gas port


February 08, 2009, 10:57
metric gas port located at red arrow

green arrow points not to the gas port, but rather to the bleed hole


February 08, 2009, 11:29
Thanks W.E.G. - those pics are helpful.
Good to know others have done it. I guess I will just have to be prepared to work things a bit.


February 08, 2009, 11:36
There is no reason why forcing the gas to make a turn should be an issue.

Where the problem comes is when there is only partial overlap of the port in the gas block and the port in the barrel. If you are a master of measurement, I'm sure this can be solved.

What you don't want is an effective port size of a lot less than 0.100" -- which IS what you get when the holes don't line up perfectly.

February 09, 2009, 11:35
if i remember correctly, isn't the inch gas block pin tapered, and metric straight?

if so then some reaming will be needed

Also i have a spare metric barrel, if you want to work something out PM me.