PDA

View Full Version : Man I love my 20 ton press!

kotengu
February 06, 2009, 20:52
I built a 20 ton press a couple years ago for working on old Jeep parts. It's pretty crude, but it works just fine.

I've been hearing horror stories about swapping gas blocks on here and was a little hesitant to do so, but bought a nice stripped Steyr barrel and figured it was time to tackle this job for the first time.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Put 20 tons on it and everything comes off and goes back on again like a hot knife through butter :biggrin:

I just had to share - my wife isn't nearly as excited about this revelation as I was...

brownknees
February 06, 2009, 20:57
Maybe she's not as thrilled with 20 tons as you are:biggrin:

kotengu
February 06, 2009, 23:48
Yeah - she just doesn't get as excited as I do about this stuff. I feel like I won the lottery tonight. First the gas block swap success, then the barrel times right with just a kiss of the file on the shoulder (OK - I know I said I was going to have it lathe turned if it happened again, but it was just TOO close and my impatience got to me), and then the new barrel headspaced about half a thumb pressure tighter than the old barrel with the same locking shoulder.

I came running in from the barn and told my wife all the good news and she could barely stifle a yawn. Women - they just don't get the important stuff! ;)

BTW - I made up for all the good luck by leaving the !#$%#$!%#$ handguard ring off the first time. It's been too long since I did one of these....

W.E.G.
February 07, 2009, 00:05
Sounds like somebody got him a Steyr barrel too.

kotengu
February 07, 2009, 17:53
Yessir! Too bad I can't get to the range until next weekend at the earliest. I didn't really think it would go together this easily...

phillip
February 07, 2009, 19:40
I wanna see a pic of it.:beer:

kotengu
February 08, 2009, 09:50
Ummm - the press or the barrel? Here's the press, before I learned the hard way that a hydraulic jack won't work upside-down. I had to do some more cutting and welding after this to right things up. I'd post a newer pic but it's buried in the corner of the barn behind two Jeep axles and an air compressor - it was all I could do to get to it to swap a FAL gas-block!

http://www.jinenkanseigi.com/Shop%20Press.JPG

OLDBEAR
February 08, 2009, 11:32
Here is a bottle jack turned upside down.

kotengu
February 08, 2009, 12:27
Yep - that remote resevoir is the key. I told my steel guy about my lack of foresight and he tried to talk me into swapping out to a 50 ton with a remote kind of like that (OK, maybe a little smaller!). Since I'm such a cheap-azz I stuck with what I had and just added a few parts to turn it right-side up.

boricua
February 09, 2009, 00:18
you should have painted the frame camo colors... that way you can hide it in the barn !

kotengu
February 09, 2009, 07:54
Hell - I painted it red so I could FIND it in the barn! :p

Hot Diggity
February 09, 2009, 10:05
Presses are really handy. I had the same kinda excitement when I was in the Marine Corps. I needed two small bench top presses to work on blowers, alternators and such. When two shipping crates arrived, containing brand new 7 foot tall 60 ton electric/hydraulic presses we could hardly believe our eyes. (very good supply officer had found them at DRMO)

I'm still amazed at how thin a penny gets (without much distortion of the image) when given a 60 ton squeeze. pushing a "fast/slow" button was the best part. No such thing as too much press.

HD

fixallthings
February 18, 2009, 01:31
Old Bear. I'm new here and have been looking around for new ideas and information for tools and techniques and was wondering about the modifications you made to that jack for it to work upside-down. I've been to other sites looking for good designs, but the ones that aren't copying the Harbor Freight design are just saying to buy one of their presses. I like the idea of the jack being bolted to the upper beam to keep the whole thing more rigid and square to the press. Would nylon lines with compression fittings be strong enough to use for the remote resivoir? I see that one seems to go into the fill port on the side of the jack, but where exactly does the other one need to go? How big a tank do you need for a 30-50 ton jack? I don't really need anything this big right now, but better too big than too small. Sorry to make my first post a pestering question, but I'm pretty new to metal. Got a lot of gun projects and I'm trying to gather all the tools I'll need for the ideas I've got in mind. Anyway, sorry to be long-winded. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Richard