PDA

View Full Version : AR/10-22 suppressor recommendations?

GOVT1911
February 06, 2009, 13:59
I'm seriously thinking about picking up a supressor for my AR and would like one that can be disassembled for cleaning and the ability to use on my 10/22 and also a .22 pistol (Ruger Mk II or III).

I've been doing quite a bit of reading online and would just like a couple suggestions on models to look for.

I don't really want to spend a fortune, but know you do get what you pay for.

YHM?
Gemtec?
Surefire?

Others?

Thanks

olgier
February 06, 2009, 14:34
you're not going to want the same can for a 10/22 or P22 and an AR. they take diff. sized cans and have diff. threads.

if you get a gemtec outback, you can still use the sights on the P22. quieter than a pellet gun.

T210driver
February 06, 2009, 15:32
Originally posted by GOVT1911
I'm seriously thinking about picking up a supressor for my AR and would like one that can be disassembled for cleaning and the ability to use on my 10/22 and also a .22 pistol (Ruger Mk II or III).

I've been doing quite a bit of reading online and would just like a couple suggestions on models to look for.

I don't really want to spend a fortune, but know you do get what you pay for.

YHM?
Gemtec?
Surefire?

Others?

Thanks

Not sure how to advise for a single supressor for the three platforms you mention. A supressor suitable for AR is going to be overkill for a .22 pistol and the availability of muzzle adapters will determine if it is even feasible.
I have a Gemtec G5 (which I have yet to shoot, but have stood by someone firing an AR with one and it was very impressive). Over on Silencertalk, Gemtec is massively bashed in favor of AAC and others such as SWR. The G5 cannot be disassemble by the user except for removal of the rear closer plate for servicing the mount collar and spring.

I also have an AAC Aviator on a Walther P22; cute little package and very pleasant to shoot but cannot be disassembled by the user.

Then there is the dreaded non-boosted Gemtec Blackside on my Glock 21 with a Bar-Sto barrel. Functions flawlessly. Lucky me!

Good luck on your search.

later,
Derace

Artful
February 06, 2009, 18:35
Ok, this is the same road I took - the AR and your 10/22 and any other hosts, have to both be threaded for 1/2x28.

The only can I know of in .223 that can be disassemble to clean out the gunk the 22LR leaves is the TAC-16. What you wind up with is a steel can that is large and heavy on a 10/22 or pistol - it is full auto capable in 223 and sounds pretty much the same as any other .223 can I have heard it up against around here - Gemtech, AAC etc (which is like a 22LR Hypervelocity shot without any suppressor).

On .22LR it sounds good also provided you stay subsonic! The can is large enough you can't use the stock sights of your pistol so you have to put on a rail, if it doesn't already have one and then a scope or red-dot on top of that to bring up the sight picture. It makes your pistol or 10/22 muzzle heavy - not a big deal at the range but for field use I got tired of it. You also need to coat the inside and threads with Never-Seaze to be able to get it apart to clean all the 22LR crap out of it and a air compressor with glass beads doesn't hurt to bead blast the baffles. After a while I got tired of it popped for the another Can in 22LR and Aluminum (TAC-65 which can be cleaned) and was very happy with the pair.

The other thought I will share with you, is that you can now get 9mm pistol cans from YHM that can be taken apart to clean 22gunk out of and it's able to change mounts at the back - won't work with 223 but they sound pretty good with 9mm and 22LR. But in the End I figure you'll be like the rest of us and can't stop with just one. :devil:

The other thing that is Generally not known is that a .308 suppressor sounds good on a .223 rifle - I don't know of any 308 suppressor that can be disassembled for cleaning. But I picked up an adaptor from 5/8x24 to 1/2x28 and mounted my AAC Cyclone on my AR15 and it sounds as quiet as my TAC-16 but has a deeper tone. YHM makes a 308 suppressor that uses a QD mount system and it makes flashhiders in 308 and 223 thread sizes so you can swap the can quickly between your FAL and AR :shades:

If you want any more info about this kind of thing I suggest you go to Silencertalk or Silencerresearch.

jim
February 08, 2009, 20:13
Originally posted by olgier
you're not going to want the same can for a 10/22 or P22 and an AR. they take diff. sized cans and have diff. threads.

if you get a gemtec outback, you can still use the sights on the P22. quieter than a pellet gun.

all my AR's and 22's have 1/2x28 threads.
you will end up with a heavier can if you find one that comes apart for cleaning, in .223
for the cost of cans you can get a Tac-65 (take apart0 for your .22's and what ever floats your boat in .223
besides once the first can has rounds through it, you'll be ordering your next one.
do it for the (inner) children.