PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Gun Kote 1200 Series Stock Paint

UMR_Engnr
February 05, 2009, 13:49
I am thinking about using the 1200 Series Gun Kote air cured paint to finish my non metal items, so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with it. Is it more durable than normal Krylon or other spray paints? Did you airbrush it or paint it on with a standard brush? Thanks.

http://www.kgindustries.eu/series_1200.html

JasonB
February 05, 2009, 14:17
Originally posted by UMR_Engnr
I am thinking about using the 1200 Series Gun Kote air cured paint to finish my non metal items, so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with it. Is it more durable than normal Krylon or other spray paints? Did you airbrush it or paint it on with a standard brush? Thanks.

http://www.kgindustries.eu/series_1200.html

It's probably better than Krylon in terms of durability, but it will wear off high spots/edges pretty quick. It's best quality is being thin (which isn't always needed or a plus), but even then it can build up on internals to the point it causes problems.

I airbrushed and painted it on. The catch is you have to heat the part before applying it. When you heat the part, mold release in the plastic leaches out so you have to get that out before you apply the finish. KG told me to do it by lightly passing a propane torch over the surface and you will see the mold release come to the top and glisten and that is removed by sanding or solvents. After that, you need to rough up the surface with an abrasive blast seeming the best to me. Then warm the part with a heat gun/hair dryer and apply the finish.

Never used Duracoat to do a stock, but after using Duracoat on metal I think it would be better than the 1200 since you don't have to heat it and it goes on thicker, which is the flip side reason why I would prefer to use a KG metal finish on metal rather than Duracoat.

tiblow
February 05, 2009, 22:29
Yes, and NO, don't use it. I tested a sample when it was first made by KG and I didn't care for it and it didn't stick at all.

If you want to paint your non-metal stuff, buy Brownells Alumahide II paint. It leaves a thicker layer and takes time to cure but is a superior finish. I've used it a lot and still do.

JasonB
February 05, 2009, 22:43
Originally posted by tiblow
Yes, and NO, don't use it. I tested a sample when it was first made by KG and I didn't care for it and it didn't stick at all.

If you want to paint your non-metal stuff, buy Brownells Alumahide II paint. It leaves a thicker layer and takes time to cure but is a superior finish. I've used it a lot and still do.

Did you do the torch, sand/chemical clean, then heat before spraying steps with the 1200?

I forgot about the Alumahyde II. I have used it also and it works great for stocks with one caveat for me. I have rarely made it through any of the Brownells spray cans without getting a glob of paint spit out at some point (with the resulting area affected needing a fix) and at least one can quit working entirely. I wish Brownells would offer that stuff in a liquid form that could be ran through an airbrush, which technically might be possible by liberating the contents like I did with some of their baking lacquer. :D

Well whaddya know! I thought I would go request it and it already exists.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=25556&title=LIQUID%20ALUMA-HYDE~%20II