PDA

View Full Version : LS headspace question/help?

Tomovich
February 02, 2009, 13:08
I've never had this happen before, must be the Entreprise receiver?? :rolleyes:

I started the HS with my gauge. It closes with "medium" two finger pressure on the NOGO guage with the .269 section of my LS guage. It feels perfect except it should be on the GO guage damn it. It's the largest section of my guage, I can't go any larger to check. SO..........

If it's closing, barely, on the .269 on the NOGO, what shoulder should I get?? Maybe .275? Any formulae or thoughts on this??

TIA :beer:

Mosin Guy
February 02, 2009, 14:28
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119640

W.E.G.
February 02, 2009, 14:31
What is the dimension of your NO-GO?

What dimension to you WANT your headspace to be?

Is this rifle firing OK as-is?

Tomovich
February 02, 2009, 15:31
Originally posted by W.E.G.
What is the dimension of your NO-GO?

What dimension to you WANT your headspace to be?

Is this rifle firing OK as-is?

I don't know the gauge dimension, it's out in the shop. Standard Brownell's (Clymer?) gauge. What dimension do I want? Don't know the measurement, just set for standard military surp. Never fired, just building this para set up now. But I have no shoulders anywhere near this size on hand. Most everything I have is upper 250's or lower 260's.

Tomovich
February 02, 2009, 15:41
Originally posted by Mosin Guy
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119640

I appreciate the link but I've built about 10 or 12 FALs (don't remember) so far and use that method, more or less, already. Never had a problem like THIS before where my pin gauge was not big enough to give me my proper headspace measurement. AND, I don't have any extra large shoulders laying around to just press in and "experiment" with. That would be simplest under the circumstances. Luckily it gets tight for me at .269 on the nogo so I thought that might just say, ".272 or .274" or whatever. You get the picture.

W.E.G.
February 02, 2009, 15:47
Is the Clymer gage marked "7.62 NATO," or is it marked ".308 Winchester?"

Tomovich
February 02, 2009, 16:15
I'll go out later and check and post back but I don't ever remembering seeing them listed seperately so I'd bet/guess they're .308. I bought them "back in the day". FWIW though, all the rilfes I'ver built with these have had no HS issues whatsoever with milsurp ammo. But I'll check.

Tomovich
February 02, 2009, 22:45
Originally posted by W.E.G.
Is the Clymer gage marked "7.62 NATO," or is it marked ".308 Winchester?"

The gauges are Forster .308 and the NOGO is 1.634 and the GO is 1.630.

randyj
February 03, 2009, 12:03
a NATO 762x51 chamber will close on a 1.634 no-go. if you have the field gauge @ 1.638 and it wont close its good to go for NATO surpluse ammo.
if you dont have that field gauge do some reading and find the thread about placing a piece of masking tape on the no-go till it wont close. i forget the size of 1 piece of tape but it may work for you.