PDA

View Full Version : Overtimed barrel

D P Six
February 01, 2009, 12:10
When I assembled my STG about two years ago, I slightly overtimed the barrel as the rear sight base must overhang the receiver (to the left) about 1/32" to center bullet impact. Should I back the barrel slightly to correct this or is is best to just live with it? As an aside, like many I find the stock FAL rear sight lacking and I am considering replacing it with the Para sight. Can anyone recoment any other ajustable rear sight that doesn't look completly out of place. Thank you.

RottenII
February 01, 2009, 13:07
I purchased a completed build last year that was a bit overtimed. I just backed it off a bit and it was fine. Rear site is back in the middle.

MAINER
February 01, 2009, 13:52
I'd back the barrel off and have, but only if I had the barrel vise and wrench.

Holland style sight: Scroll down "Lower receiver/buttstock parts"
http://www.gunthings.com/fal3.htm

2 clicks low
February 01, 2009, 14:41
I over timed one rifle, I removed the barrel and peened the shoulder to move some metal to change the timing, then reinstalled it.

bykerhd
February 01, 2009, 15:36
If you decide to remove the barrel and re-time it, make a pencil mark,or even a punch mark on the receiver and barrel as they are now first.
Your timing is only slightly off right now and you'll need reference marks if you don't want to end up worse off.

motosapien
February 02, 2009, 11:05
1/32" ??? Your barrel is timed perfectly!!! Don't mess with it. There are plenty of brand new DSA rifles that need the rear sight to be that far or further off center. Don't worry, be happy.

ce
February 02, 2009, 13:38
TWO CLICKS LOW!

TWO CLICKS LOW!

TWO CLICKS LOW!

He peened it. Attaboy.

D P Six
February 02, 2009, 18:10
I quess I will just 'Be Happy' and leave it as it is for now. It is my only FAL, so I had nothing to compare it with as to what is acceptable and what is not. Thanks for the advice.

shortround
February 02, 2009, 18:47
Originally posted by motosapien
1/32" ??? Your barrel is timed perfectly!!! Don't mess with it. There are plenty of brand new DSA rifles that need the rear sight to be that far or further off center. Don't worry, be happy.

Quote: I slightly overtimed the barrel as the rear sight base must overhang the receiver (to the left) about 1/32" to center bullet impact.

Reading is good.

motosapien
February 03, 2009, 08:57
Yes Short, there is a distinction there. My FALS have been several thousand miles away for some months so I can't recall just how much space there is on either side of the sight when it is perfectly centered. So his sight might be 3/32" or even an 1/8" off center. There are quite a few manufacturing steps that could be responsible for this, his barrel could still be timed well.

With a good eye, you can check a few things like:

Is the gas tube parallel with the barrel?

Is the carry handle nut relief cut in the barrel shoulder at top dead center?

Is the barrel perfectly parallel with the receiver?

The front sight base could be off too.

I would'nt be getting out the tools until I checked all those things. A perfectly centered rear sight does not in anyway indicate a perfectly timed barrel. When I think about it, I can't count the number of brand new iron sighted firearms that needed the rear sight to be off to one side or another.

D P Six
February 14, 2009, 00:42
To update. I just couldn't leave it alone. Put a pinprick index mark at the junction of the barrel and receiver and set up the barrel blocks and receiver wrench. Backed out the barrel minutely (index marks were still touching), reassembled and took the rifle out back to shoot and readjust sights to point of aim. The sight base is now centered, life is good. Quess I'll have to find something else to worry about now.

MAINER
February 14, 2009, 17:24
:bow:

Glad I'm not the only fussy fanatic here! :D