PDA

View Full Version : I need my flipper parked

Pluribus
January 31, 2009, 16:01
I modified a flipper for my SLR hybrid charge handle and, now need it parked. I'll certainly pay what you need to do it or, perhaps some other small parts trading such as; inch mag lever(I have several) or, a OEM metric PG modified to semi only and, re cut with a higher relief to have an angle closer to a L1A1/SLR then, splattered with truck bed liner.

PM if you can or, want to help.

Thanks,

Doug

JOHN E
January 31, 2009, 17:02
Contact Slo cat
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250753
He does a good job and likes to trade.

W.E.G.
January 31, 2009, 17:40
... or you could just get a bottle of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner from WAL-MART.

Pour some in a coffee cup with the flipper and stick it in the microwave for 10 minutes.

Pluribus
January 31, 2009, 17:44
Originally posted by W.E.G.
... or you could just get a bottle of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner from WAL-MART.

Pour some in a coffee cup with the flipper and stick it in the microwave for 10 minutes.

Reeeeally? Or, doeth thee shat me so?

W.E.G.
January 31, 2009, 17:51
Hey, it was ce's idea.

In theory I think it would work.
Although I'd be tempted to add some cold blue to the hot mix.

MSDS for "The Works"
http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/8765.pdf

"Home Brew" park solution
http://www.finishing.com/121/03.shtml

Pluribus
January 31, 2009, 20:51
Thanks for the link Gary but, that's a lot of work for one little old flipper.

Maybe I'll read the label on "The Works" next time I go to Wallys. Then again, maybe I'll send it off.

:shades:

Deltaten
January 31, 2009, 23:06
Actually... it's phosphoric acid and manganese. I'm not wholly certain of the difference between the two acids; but......

Topbanana
January 31, 2009, 23:22
METAL IN A MICROWAVE???:uhoh:

Abominog
January 31, 2009, 23:35
Sounds like a challenge to me. Who's up for it?

Pluribus
February 01, 2009, 00:15
Originally posted by Abominog
Sounds like a challenge to me. Who's up for it?

Wellll....I just might. Only, I think I'd need to add in some manganese from a battery wouldn't? I don't think I could explain the microwave thing to the Little Woman when it blows the farg'up.
:eek:

But Honey, the guys on the FALfiles said it'd work and, they're EXPERTS! :rofl:

Really.

brownknees
February 01, 2009, 10:17
Originally posted by Topbanana
METAL IN A MICROWAVE???:uhoh:
If you have a solid flat piece of metal in a microwave it'll just get real hot, real fast. As long as it's not resting on glass you'll be fine. If it is the glass will heat unevenly, & shatter.

Steel wool, metal foil (crumpled) & so on will have a discharge across close points & create a fireworks display.

You have a better chance of blowing up a nuke' with a potato.:uhoh:

*DISCLAIMER* Don't try this at home, we're what you call "experts"* :smile:

Slo cat
February 02, 2009, 13:18
Hell, yeah, I'll park it for you for an inch mag release. I'll even blast it before parking.

PM me if you are interested.

Best Regards,
Slo cat

mr fixit
February 02, 2009, 13:29
Originally posted by brownknees

If you have a solid flat piece of metal in a microwave it'll just get real hot, real fast. As long as it's not resting on glass you'll be fine. If it is the glass will heat unevenly, & shatter.

Steel wool, metal foil (crumpled) & so on will have a discharge across close points & create a fireworks display.

You have a better chance of blowing up a nuke' with a potato.:uhoh:

*DISCLAIMER* Don't try this at home, we're what you call "experts"* :smile:

Actually, metal won't get hot, or cause glass to shatter. I used to work at Texas instruments with microwave stuff.

The only reason metal in a microwave is ever a problem is when it is bent, and not always then.

Microwaves are in fact radio waves that are very small. They travel over not through metal, and through glass. If they travel over the metal surface and it bends they travel with it. If the radius of the bend is short enough that the microwaves hit each other as the travel they cause sparks. Flat metal in a microwave will have no affect on anything. In fact, flat metal is what the inside of the microwave oven is made of.

As a practical matter, say you bake a cake like a bundt cake. If the outside browns and the inside is not done, you can put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it will cook the "wet" part of the cake and leave the brown outside alone. All of this can be done in the metal cake pan.

Mr Fixit

Pluribus
February 02, 2009, 13:29
Slo, I'll PM soon to you.

Thanks,

Doug

brownknees
February 02, 2009, 14:00
Actually, metal won't get hot, or cause glass to shatter. I used to work at Texas instruments with microwave stuff.
You have my curiosity peaked here.

A while back one of our techs decided to heat a flat SS bar in a microwave at work for reasons unknown (except to him.)

The glass rotating carousel did shatter, and the metal was too hot to touch. I assumed it was caused by local, uneven heating of the glass carousel.
Any idea what the heck happened to cause the problem?

mr fixit
February 02, 2009, 15:32
Actually, no idea. But I don't think it would heat the metal directly. Possibly that the waves heated the glass itself, since there was nothing inside the oven to absorb the waves.

A microwave oven works by transmitting lots of micro sized radio waves very fast, which cause the molecules to vibrate. Mainly it is liquid and gaseous molecules that vibrate. The vibration causes friction and heat. That is why a Microwave will cook from the inside out and not brown the batter of a cake. Once the liquid is heated and evaporates, there is much less heating going on. The substance vibrates because of the waves passing through it. If it doesn't pass through it, it won't heat it.

At Texas Instruments, we used crystal and glass tubes with gas running through them. the tube was passed through an aluminum box which had a microwave magnetron on it. The microwaves excited the gas as it passed through, and caused the gas to form a plasma as it entered the reaction chamber.

You know, thinking about it, I guess it is possible that the microwaves heated the outside of the metal, since they won't penetrate.