PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Tighten Loose Izy Handguard Spacers

patriot1177
January 30, 2009, 00:52
I have some Israeli Handgurads on my FAL but the hand guard spacers are so loose to the hand guards they rattle. What would be the best way to tighten them? I was thinking of building up the spacer slots in the handguards with some plastic wood or JB Weld then filling it down to fit.

How would you do it?

larphred
January 30, 2009, 13:45
If you (or someone you know) has access to a lathe, you could put a recess for an O-ring on the inside of the spacer big enough to accept most of an O-ring. Look for the most heat resistant O-ring you can find (maybe buna-n, if memory serves me here) that fits and put in slot in spacer and slide on gas piston tube.

patriot1177
January 30, 2009, 15:52
Thanks for the advice larphred. So you are saying instead of making the hand guard spacers fit tight against the hand guards I should machine a grove inside the hand guard spacers and use heat resistant O-rings to make the hand guard spacers fit tight to the gas tube?

I hate a rifle that rattles but I hope there is an easier fix.

shortround
January 30, 2009, 16:37
Drill and tap the spacer for a 10x32 set screw. Drill, tap and set screw can be bought at Home Depot and it can be done with a hand drill. Position the spacer with the set screw near the bottom where it is out of sight with the handguards on but can still be tightened. Snug the set screw with some locktight if possible. Shoot.

elbo
January 30, 2009, 20:43
Originally posted by shortround
Drill and tap the spacer for a 10x32 set screw. Drill, tap and set screw can be bought at Home Depot and it can be done with a hand drill. Position the spacer with the set screw near the bottom where it is out of sight with the handguards on but can still be tightened. Snug the set screw with some locktight if possible. Shoot.

+1
and if you leave off the front and only do the rear one you needn't worry about binding the piston.

NoNotAgain
January 31, 2009, 17:35
Originally posted by patriot1177
Thanks for the advice larphred. So you are saying instead of making the hand guard spacers fit tight against the hand guards I should machine a grove inside the hand guard spacers and use heat resistant O-rings to make the hand guard spacers fit tight to the gas tube?

I hate a rifle that rattles but I hope there is an easier fix.

A dab of this and your rattles go away.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMCTLG=00&PMAKA=85634996&partnerURL=http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/mscdirect/index.aspx%6Fpagename=shopmain%50circularid=13665% 50storeid=1040626%50pagenumber=2519%50mode=

George4
January 31, 2009, 18:42
First to admit it sounds goofy, but 2 years back I had the same problem. Used some clear GE silicon, comes in a tube at your local paint department. Works fine so far and it was easy.:D