PDA

View Full Version : Picking up Brass

BlackWell Industries
January 29, 2009, 21:38
I don't like chassin brass, so when I go to the range to shoot handguns I usually take wheelguns. I reload, I am old, and I am fat. So, revolvers work great for me. Am I over sharing?

Really I love revolvers, I just don't like to chase brass. There is something Zen-like about shooting revolvers that I don't get from shooting pistols. It's the disipline of shooting. What do you remember about learning to shoot? trigger control, safety, and breath control. How cool is it to fire a double action revolver and work through the whole trigger stroke double action then hit the 10 ring. Then do it again and again. It's better then a happy ending and a shoeshine.
If you don't know what a shoeshine is you should realize you are too young to understand this post.

akjaeger
January 29, 2009, 22:10
Yeah, I know what you mean about revolvers.....
Guess I'm too young to understand the shoeshine.....
I've got a few pistols, but if I hafta make a shot I'd take the revolver every time.
N frame Smith's are my favorites.
Although a Colt Python was my first real centerfire handgun, so I have a soft spot for it. It cost my $415 back in 1980, a months wages for a 15 year old.
My Freedom Arms .454 has made some really tough shots, got me some braggin' rights.

W.E.G.
January 29, 2009, 22:51
My first revolver was one of these.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/RugerSecuritySix.jpg

Love it!

My next one was one of these.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/DSCN3272smaller.jpg

Let the first one go, and had to give the second one back.

After some years, I'm back on track.

Indycar
January 29, 2009, 23:28
It seems like more and more of us "Baby Boomers" are going back to what we began with. I agree with all that was said above. Revolvers are more accurate, have greater power, teach trigger and sight technique, safer and are more fun to shoot.

Besides, it's fun to be able to reach out and touch something with a revolver!

And you can't do a beer round with an auto.

BEER ROUND: When we began shooting revolvers, my best friend and I would both shoot a box of .357 and a box of .38 each. At 50 feet, the poi of a .38 was about 2" higher than a magnum. We saved the last 2 rounds out of each box and loaded each others guns, spun the cylinders and closed the cylinder. The other shooter then didn't know whether they were dropping the hammer on an empty, a mag or a special. Who ever got the worst score with their 4 shots bought the beer. Those were good days.

W.E.G.
January 29, 2009, 23:43
My first semi-auto handgun was one of these.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/HSC.jpg

I remember "the big day" when I thought I was gonna bring home some game with this thing. A bunny rabbit presented itself for the offing. Couldn't have been more than 7 yards away. I emptied the whole magazine at Mr. Hasenpfeffer.

He just looked at me and hopped away - completely unscathed and not nearly as annoyed as me.

I got rid of that gun. Can't even remember what I traded it for.
Wouldn't ever want another one.

TerryN
January 30, 2009, 01:48
Happiness is an accurate revolver...:D

Andy the Aussie
January 30, 2009, 17:56
I am fond of both autos and revolvers, I probably enjoy (and do the best with) my 4 inch 686, probably cause I have lost count of the rounds I have put down range with it. On picking up brass I always have an argument at the indoor range when I use my Gold Cup, as I have to for each case from a .45ACP (it is a .38/45JWH) I am pretty particular about finding all my brass, the ROs don't always respect this (I DO NOT do anything dangerous EVER) and we get a little short with each other, for this reason I always time my visits during their quiet times and more often than not I have the whole bank of lanes to myself.

Andy :beer: