PDA

View Full Version : WTK: M1 in .308

HunterPro
January 29, 2009, 17:37
So, the other day while on TDY, I went browsing in a local firearm store and saw a really great looking M1 Tanker. Being a newbie FAL guy, I know even less about M1s so I thought I'd go to the experts. Here are the specifics:
New wood stock
National Match sights (the little circle rear sight)
Welded receiver
Barreled (not sleeved) in .308
$799
I did some research on the welded receiver and it seems that they are the receivers welded back together after the gov't destroyed them due to not wanting to pay for storage.

So, then, the question is, are rewelds dependable and even serviceable or should I just pass it on by? If they are good weapons, is the price fair? Thanks in advance for the help!

Topbanana
January 29, 2009, 18:42
Buy it for the price! Good re-welds ain't so bad and a tanker in .308 would be one hell of a fun gun to own and shoot!

January 29, 2009, 19:55
Check to see if the magazine has the spacer installed for the shorter .308 case. I have one that was done correctly on an H&R original rifle, and it's a gas to shoot.

hagar
January 29, 2009, 21:06
I have seen 2 of these tankers, owned by friends of mine. They both sucked, one would jam constantly, and the other one had headspace that was totally out of spec. You could physically see it from a fired case. I would pass on it.

HunterPro
January 30, 2009, 13:24
Thanks! I might take another look at it but will probably pass and take a look at those CMP rifles.

Topbanana
January 30, 2009, 13:46
Originally posted by hagar
I have seen 2 of these tankers, owned by friends of mine. They both sucked, one would jam constantly, and the other one had headspace that was totally out of spec. You could physically see it from a fired case. I would pass on it.

Garands are just like FALs, if your smith knows what he's doing, it can be fixed with relative ease.

hagar
January 30, 2009, 14:06
Yes, but these were put together by Federal Ordinance if I remember correctly. they have an even worse reputation than Century.

1MOR
January 30, 2009, 16:32
I would suggest that you purchase a CMP Garand. These fine weapons meet USGI standards and are test fired by CMP. If after living with the Garand for a while and you still want a "Tanker" version, contact a Garand Smith who is skilled in these conversions. I have a custom built "Tanker" that uses all USGI parts with the exception of the Douglas barrel which is chambered for 7.62 X 51Nato cartridge. This weapon is very reliable. I would not purchase a rewelded receiver.

tn hp
February 08, 2009, 10:33
+1 on 1MOR's advice. "Tanker" Garands, unless built by a competent Garand smith, can be a waste of money. Several hundred M1's were converted to "Tanker" configuration my U.S. personnel for the Phillipino (sp) forces in the
50's and may be recognized by the lack of a front hand guard. However, few, if any, have been imported for resale.

"Tanker" size Garands are handy but, invest in a CMP rifle first. As I recall only two were built by Springfield Armory for consideration as standard issue for the Pacific Theater but, the war ended before they were approved. One of the "original Tankers" is in the Springfield Armory Museum and I do not recall were the second one is located.

W.E.G.
February 08, 2009, 10:38
.........................................re-weld in the used-guns rack at bubba's?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/pythonrunaway.jpg

HunterPro
February 11, 2009, 20:50
Um, l...look, I...I...if we built this large wooden badger...

GM4spd
February 12, 2009, 08:14
There are so many good Garands out there---no need to buy a reweld,
for $799 that is a big mistake. Pete

HunterPro
February 16, 2009, 20:19
Thanks again for the inputs; I'll put them into good use.

AliYahu
February 18, 2009, 13:30
Get a CMP gun then send it here (http://shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php) to make it shorter. .30-06 is 1/2 the price of 7.62 lately...

Eli

Charles Lipscomb
February 24, 2009, 05:45
i gotta agree with the others here. get a cmp Garand, i have 2 from them. both are great. and the recievers were never cut. if you must have a Tanker, get the field grade. it's the cheapest one, the barrel may not be great. throat willl be over 5, but you aren't gonna use it anyway...
i was tempetd to get a welded reciever m1 in the 80's, but was rightly talked out of it by my father. with m1's so cheap thru the cmp it would be crazy to buy a wlded rifle.
another strike agains the tanker is the recol an muzzle flash, or so i've heard... but good luck however you go..

matchmakertrading.com
February 26, 2009, 12:18
One more vote for CMP, and ammo from them too. Cheaper than FAL food.

HunterPro
February 28, 2009, 21:37
CMP Garand it is! Thanks for the tips and warnings. Now just scrounging the funds and figuring out how to get one through CMP...

rustyswarf
March 18, 2009, 18:28
I have a .308 Garand to go with my International Harvester .30-06 Garand; but it is a full-size Springfield Armory unit. Works great, shoots great. Don't know about Tankers. I have heard lots of them turn out to be problem children. If you want a Garand in .308, get a full sized rifle with a barrel chamber cut for the round, NO Sleevings or Inserts! They will eventually work loose if you shorten a .30-06 chamber with a .308 sleeve.