PDA

View Full Version : AAarrrghhh! Para conversion woes

Deltaten
January 28, 2009, 13:01
THis thing is makin' me crazy!

Non-starter at the weekend shoot. Won't go into battery. Tweaked the TC. Filed the BC some here'n'there to smooth it out. Still no joy. Disgusted, I went on to shoot the Ishy.

Now, having it home/warm and under better light; I see what I think is the problem.

B/BC slide back'n'forth amazingly free, even with the TC in place. Add a cartridge and it still binds/locks up 3/8" from battery!!!!!!!

The bolt appears to be too high going into battery, causing the brass to bind against the top of the chamber entry. This is evidenced by a slight "ring" left on a cart after attempting a loading. Perhaps the bolt/BC interface is a bit snug? BUt; wouldn't this raise it even more????

I have a few spare bolts to try yet; and a couple std. BCs to measure against.

Any clues?
Paul

Brush511
January 28, 2009, 13:13
I had a similar problem where the carrier would stop about 3/8" short. If I (with the dust cover off) pushed the carrier forward it would snap in. Like using one thumb pressure when setting head space. Not as hard as to thumbs. It turned out to be a ridge on the sloped face of the extractor interfering with the angled extractor cut on the barrel. The pressure would open the extractor and go ahead an go into battery. I switched the extractor with one I had that was smooth to see if that was the problem. It worked. I could have just dremeled the face of the original extractor but just didn't bother to change them back.

Scott V2
January 29, 2009, 08:54
Falcon?

tac-40
January 29, 2009, 11:26
I had to remove some metal from the top of my BC in order for the thing to cycle freely. Look for rub marks on the dust cover near the front nose.