PDA

View Full Version : Any MSAR owners here?

turrican
January 26, 2009, 22:37
Mine kicks ass :D :aug:

vmtz
January 26, 2009, 22:38
Not as good as the FS2000.

Fr. Vince

turrican
January 26, 2009, 23:00
I had one for less then a week. It handled like a tuna fish and looked like a super soaker. I love the aug style rifles but even I admit the aug trigger sucks. However the FS200 has a trigger that is even worse. Add the fact that FN wont sell spare parts to lowly civilians and the FS aint all that IMO.

Whole Bunches
January 27, 2009, 08:36
Got one and love it! I take off the bbl to clean it and the gas system. The rest of the inside of the rifle (operating rod, bolt, bolt carrier) remain VERY VERY clean and were only removed after every other outing only so I can ensure they are still lubricated and clean. I am now going to only fully field strip the rifle after every 3rd time out now, as the every other time full field strip for lubrication and checking appears not needed (still well lubed and clean). Note: I fire 150-200rd each time I take the rifle out. The point of impact remains the same even though you take off and replace the bbl each time cleaned. I find the bore is fouled less and less with copper the more it has been shot and cleaned. I have also noticed that my empties are now ejecting 2-3 feet further than when the rifle was new.

I had one 42rd mag that holds the first round too low to chamber. It has been sent back to the factory for replacement...I am awaiting its return.

xtremerange
January 27, 2009, 08:37
I like my MSAR. It handles a lot better than I thought it would. The MSAR mags seem rock solid. Only put about 500 rounds through it but it has been flawless. I cleaned it once when new but not since.

It did so well at first (no failures during the first 100) that I decided to torture test it. Of course, at 500 rounds are year it is a slow torture.

Squint1
January 28, 2009, 11:41
I have one that I put a surplus ELCAN on. I love it. Like others have said it stays very cool and clean during shooting and is very accurate. I have not had one malfunction.

mdlmkr 7.62
January 28, 2009, 13:52
Originally posted by vmtz
Not as good as the FS2000.

Fr. Vince

I had a FS2000. What a piece of crap. I took it to an Appleseed shoot. after about 60 rds the trigger started getting harder and harder to operate until at about 100 rds it would not function at all! I took the trigger pack out and lubed it with CLP. After another 40 rds it started doing the same thing again. What a piece of CRAP!!! After that I lost my faith in FN to produce a reliable gun. FALs are great but the FS2000 is absolute junk IMO.

I've had no problems with MSAR's AUG clone. I stopped by the MSAR booth at the SHOT show and they were unfriendly assholes though.......

Slow
January 28, 2009, 20:45
Originally posted by turrican
II admit the aug trigger sucks. However the FS200 has a trigger that is even worse.

http://www.triggertamer.com/

really works, i got one in my MASR, worth the cash IMHO.

vmtz
January 29, 2009, 00:16
Yeah, old tech. Funny I took mine to Fal Fest last year and not a problem. Perhaps you finger just got tired.

Fr. Vince

Slow
January 29, 2009, 08:52
Originally posted by vmtz
Perhaps you finger just got tired.

Fr. Vince

or maybe yours gets just more exercise diggin out all those pearls........

vmtz
January 29, 2009, 08:57
of wisdom.

Hope this helps.

Fr. Vince

762-4-U
January 29, 2009, 19:21
I have a MSAR on the way. how about a group buy on those trigger tamer's?
310 shipped on a ten pack. vs 70 shippped for one.

LMK
H

Squint1
January 29, 2009, 20:43
After a couple hundred rounds my trigger got a LOT better. Mine is fine as it is. Short and breaks cleanly.

JB Books
January 30, 2009, 20:05
I have had one for a couple of months now. I have only fired about 200 rds so far, but it shoots great and I am very pleased with it.

gypsiebm
February 15, 2009, 21:43
I bought a black no optic at a gun show yesterday. I took it to the range today. I had some problems with it not locking open on the last round. After 50 rounds it worked fine. All I want to no is what is the big deal about the trigger. Although it fills a little spongey or plastic like. It is probaly the best trigger of all the rifles I own except for the black powder muzzle loader. Short smooth very usable. The mag changes will take some getting use to.

Mad Dog 7.62
February 16, 2009, 01:11
You need to learn the technique for the mag changes....muzzle down 45 degrees, and tilt the bottom of the rifle 45 degrees toward the side you are loading from....if you are loading from the right side of your gear, hold the rifle by the front grip, 45 degrees down and tilted 45 degrees to the right, change the mag with your right hand....if you are loading from the left side of your gear, same drill except hold the rifle by the firing grip and change the mag with your left hand.

I too had an FS2000.....I bought it because I like the PS90 and thought the FN2000 would be as well executed.....its not, its big, clunky, and awkward. The MSAR handles much better. Vince knows this as well, but the first thing they teach you at lawyer school is to never, ever, admit you are wrong.....so he is stuck with that abomination of an FS2000.
MD

Mad Dog 7.62
February 16, 2009, 01:12
Originally posted by gypsiebm
I had some problems with it not locking open on the last round. After 50 rounds it worked fine.

Turn the gas regulator up to high until you get it broke in.
MD

Rodney
March 07, 2009, 14:26
Finally received my tan MSAR, I bought the collectors edition with the matching serial #'s to the knife; waiting for a dry day to let it sing.

762-4-U
March 07, 2009, 14:38
My rifle came in on Wed, took thurdsay off..LOL Very accurate.....the only issue was some feeding problems. Talked with MSAR, and said that can be normal until you pump 100 down the pipe or so.

I am very pleased with the rifle. I just hope when I go to the range tomorrow, it will function without issue.

armed1
March 20, 2009, 23:59
Mad dog has it right. Takes a little getting used to changing mags. The gun is very well built, but is a little tight and needs several hunded rounds for
Break in. I ran mine dry for the break in for maximum wear. I originally tried an ACOG on it, but the trigger limits it's accuracy. An eotech is the ideal sight.
This is a great gun for CQB. I wish I had one n full auto.

Also, get the one without the forward assist and you can use AUG mags.

bykerhd
March 21, 2009, 20:45
My usual "Toy" store has one of the sets. All cased up, camo-ed out with several spare mags, knife/bayonet ?, accessories, etc.
If I had about 4K spare change around, I might be interested.:wink:

JohnnyReb
March 23, 2009, 13:31
I just bought a new (gen 4) green one with the 20" barrel and optics rail.

Don't tell Vince, I'm gona sell the F$2000 on Gunbroker....

FranzLiebkind
July 24, 2009, 07:40
How do people feel about its "ambidextrousness" I'm left handed and would like to shoot it that way.

Stranger
July 24, 2009, 11:48
You would have to buy the left-handed bolt which costs around $180. They are pretty plentiful so obtaining one shouldn't be a problem... provided you have $180.

pb
July 25, 2009, 10:57
About 1200 rds, no problems at all.

I did replace the 'short' optic with the optional one that is slightly taller. Could not get a good sight picture with my enormous head.

Mainframe
August 06, 2009, 19:29
New E4 here - worth the wait! Black w/ 1.5 factory optic.

I've only sent 200 rounds of 55gr Prvi through it, though. If the weather holds this weekend, I'll see if I can do more.

I haven't been this jazzed about a new firearm for quite some time.

[486]
August 07, 2009, 09:13
Originally posted by Whole Bunches
Got one and love it! I take off the bbl to clean it and the gas system. The rest of the inside of the rifle (operating rod, bolt, bolt carrier) remain VERY VERY clean and were only removed after every other outing only so I can ensure they are still lubricated and clean.

I don't know about the MSAR/AUG but on the AR I only clean the barrel every 1000 rounds or so, and right now I'm figuring out how long the carrier and all is good for, so far 600 rounds.

Cleaning the barrel more often than needed does more harm than good. Take for instance Ol' dirty, it's got 15,000 rounds, no cleaning and it is still accurate.

Talyn
August 17, 2009, 20:29
I got my 20" barrel OD Green E4 last week. Great rifle. Great egonomics & compact.

Far far nicer than a 2000 IMO.

I'm running a Leupold Mk. 4 1.5-5 MRT M2 Illuminated reticle on a LaRue LT-104, on it. My BUIS is the YHM QDS set front & back.

Perfect for my needs, either 3-gun or defense.

When shooting righty, tilt rifle to side while holding in right hand, grab mag with left hand while pressing mag release with thumb & pull out. Insert new mag firmly and pull to make sure it's locked in.