PDA

View Full Version : DSA EXTREME MOUNT TO PARA CONVERSION

4895SHOOTER
January 26, 2009, 00:41
Excuse me for asking, but is it possible to convert a DSA standard scope mount to the para configuration, and if so what would it involve?

English Mike
January 26, 2009, 05:05
I doubt it.
The Para version has a slot cut into it for DSA'a spring carrier that would require a milling machine.

Cyclic
January 26, 2009, 10:00
I know some of the regular scope mounts actually have the slot already milled in them. IF yours has the slot all you need to order is the sping guide and you are good to go. Look in the rear of the cover for a recessed slot that would allow the guid rod to be installed, look on the DSA site for pictures.

4895SHOOTER
January 26, 2009, 10:42
I have the standard mount with no cut and ordered the para two months ago. I have no idea what the dimensions are or what the cut/assembly looks like. I do have the FA springs and support + the para carrier. I thought this might be an option before considering the expensive A.R.M.S. cover - if I can find one. Any thoughts on quality design issues; is the A.R.M.S. superior to the DSA and therefore warrants the extra hard earned cash?

NoNotAgain
January 26, 2009, 18:35
Originally posted by 4895SHOOTER
Excuse me for asking, but is it possible to convert a DSA standard scope mount to the para configuration, and if so what would it involve?

The DSA mount is the same between the para and regular plain vanilla version minus the slot for the guide rod.

The underside of the cover needs to be machined using a key slot cutter.

DSA sells the replacement guide rods for around $30 or so. http://www.dsarms.com/Recoil-Guide-Rod-For-SA58-Para-Scope-Mount/productinfo/620AROD/

Cyclic
January 26, 2009, 20:14
Just sell your mount here and buy the Para style one from DSA.

4895SHOOTER
January 26, 2009, 23:33
Thanks! OK, I did look at the DSA website and can see the assembly. I have two standard mounts, one with four plates(doesn't slip), and one with five - they're not for sale. If you get a hankerin' for a para topcover, call DSA and order one, you definitely won't have it for two months+(and don't ask me how I know this). DSA has some great products backed up by some great employees - getting them to part with the goodies is another thing. I'm not trying to cut out the midddle man, I've spent a lot of hard earned money on DSA's stuff. But I digress, this here is the Gunsmithing forum. What size is the slotting cutter and where is the slot located exactly and how deep? This rod, it's exact contour, length and diameter. Oh, the rod must be retained in the plate - possibly a hole?(I figger' I can determine it's locality from the hole in the BC if this info is unavailable ). If this is a waste of time, I could purchase the A.R.M.S. #4; anyone have a reason why I shouldn't do this (like $150 for starters when I already have two victims)? Thanks again for your patience and taking the time respond to this and the others.

Cyclic
January 27, 2009, 11:09
I just went and looked at my mount, it has the cut. Its shaped like a sectioned and squared-off mushroom. They used a regular endmill. Order the spring rod from DSA.

Here what I was able to measure. Referencing the milled slot as a "T" shape, from the top of the T to the end of the rail mount (base of the T) I got .751 inches. The width of the T's vertical part was .246 and the dept of the cut I could only measure from the top of the DSA mount to the dept of the T cut which came out to .236 inches. I have no way to measure the width of the top of the T or the thickness of the T top so you will have to use the spring retainer for that measurement. The depth cut is uniform throughout the T milled area.

Hope this helps you out. I would double check all these measurements against the spring retainer before cutting though. And a final thought mine is the DSA rail mount with five retaining plates. I do not know if the overall inside milled area (not counting the spring retainer area) is different between the regular mount and the para mount, but I do not believe they are different. I'm pretty sure the regular DSA mount interior is clearenced for a para carrier, it just needs the spring retainer slot.

tyler2you
January 27, 2009, 11:39
Just fyi--Brownells has the Para style top covers in stock.

4895SHOOTER
January 27, 2009, 11:46
Thanks, that's some very helpful information - and thanks for taking the time to take the precise measurements and posting them! I'm very leery about ordering the rod, because I have no way of knowing (even a rough idea) when it will be shipped. As I said the complete item was ordered/is still ordered. Not sure why nobody has commented on the A.R.M.S.? I understand that purchasing an assembly or part is the most expedient solution to the problem (I'm not a nutcake), but I did do this long before posting this. Therefore, it seemed that modification of the existing mount or ordering a different design was the logical solution. Thanks again to everyone for bearing with me on this and helping to guide me in the right direction.

4895SHOOTER
January 27, 2009, 13:08
UPDATE!!! Thanks, I called Brownells and ordered the last DSA para topcover they had in stock. This had the added benefit of allowing me to order a couple of 1911 triggers I need for another project. My order will be shipped out today Priority Mail. I hope the FA parts will work w/it? I will update when it's received.

tyler2you
January 27, 2009, 13:54
I'm hoping the Falcon Arms carrier works as well. I'd been on DSA's backorder list for a cover for several months and just happened to notice they were in stock at Brownells. I snapped one up and then saw your post, so I thought I'd share. I wondered how many they could have. Sounds like it was just a handful.

I have seen a couple of posts where folks had to remove some material from the carrier with sandpaper to get an interference free fit. Not a big deal, but will require a repark to get it back to optimum condition.

Good luck with yours.

4895SHOOTER
January 27, 2009, 15:52
Right, like I said, I got the last one - thanks again - Brownells notified me by e-mail that it shipped this afternoon. I read the same thing about the fit, however as I remember it had to do with the specific topcover/mount which has the cut for a Trijicon scope. I purchased the carrier from Gunthings and mentioned this to Brad and he said to return it if it didn't fit. I think I'd rather modify the cover than the carrier if it's only a small amount that has to be removed. The Falcon carrier is nicely made and it did not take two months to get. Now if they started making the mounts...

4895SHOOTER
January 29, 2009, 19:36
Update!!! Thanks for the advice, and thanks tyler2you for sharing the discovery - I received the mount today from Brownells. I did attatch it to my receiver and slid in the Falcon Arms para carrier and there is no interference or rubbing; removal of the cover revealed the "mushroom" cut absent from my standard mount. Actually the standard mount has the begining of the cut, but does not have the forward recess for the pad of the rod base milled in. I'm in no hurry to do this modification, but now that I have the model, it would be very simple to accomplish.

tyler2you
January 29, 2009, 21:35
Mine arrived this evening as well. My experience didn't go quite as well. I installed the cover and tried to slide in the Falcon carrier and it would only go in about 1/2 inch. The top of the carrier was binding inside the cover severely. I pulled out the file, sandpaper, Dykem and went to work. About 45 minutes of careful filing and fitting resulted in a smooth fit. I touched up the top with some cold blue and will re-park when I get motivated.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the mount. It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the ARMS Mount, but it's solid as heck. I wonder if Falcon Arms changed the dimensions on their carrier at some point? Seems so since 489Shooter had no issues. Now I just need to get my T-1 on order to finish out this rig.

By the way, my mount came with hex button head screws as opposed to the slotted ones I've seen on every other DSA Mount. They must have listened to the complaints regarding the cheap screws. They definitely look nicer.

4895SHOOTER
January 29, 2009, 22:00
Sorry about the extra fitting you had to do. My carrier has a slight ridge at the top so I was full prepared for the abrasive treatment. The mount came supplied with allen head plate screws also. They must have started that very recently since I saw an STG58 which was purchased new less than a couple of months ago that had an optional factory installed mount with the flatheads. I'm still very curious about the ARMS, but it doesn't seem like we're going to get a response/review from anyone this time around. Good luck with the rest and thanks again!