PDA

View Full Version : How to get out paint when blasting?

Slo cat
January 22, 2009, 16:39
I spend way too much time trying to get out paint that is caked in crevassas when blasting with aluminum oxide #80. Especially around the FAL gas block.

I found that if I miss any of this, it look crappy when parkerized.

Is there some secret to doing this quickly? I've tried dental picks and sanding, and this is still taking way too long.

Best Regards,
Slo cat

stimpsonjcat
January 22, 2009, 17:48
That commonwealth paint is some tough stuff idn't it?

I curse it also!

But I have no better solution to getting rid of it.

Teddydog
January 22, 2009, 19:47
Try Carb Cleaner. I was using some to clean gunk off one of my AK parts kits I was building and it was just blasting off the black paint on the barrel trunion.

rob

JeepsAndGuns
January 22, 2009, 19:53
Is it some type of special paint? Any reason that paint stripper wouldnt work? Like what you could find at harware/home improvement or auto part stores.

chaleau
January 23, 2009, 13:40
I work in a chemical plant and we have this stuff in an aerosol can called Safety Solvent. If you're serious about wanting to clean something down to bare metal, use this stuff. You can get it at hardware or auto stores. However, never never never never never get it on something that you don't want the finish to come off of. Good stuff on the the right stuff, bad stuff on the wrong stuff.

ce
January 23, 2009, 14:08
Try "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner.

Acid, man, acid.

It'll etch yer metal, but not as much as Panama Red.

He'll steal your woman, then he'll steal your head.

Slo cat
January 23, 2009, 14:13
Thanks, guys. I'll try some Carb Cleaner and Safety Solvent.

stimpsonjcat, how did you know I was blasting an Inch kit? :D

Toilet bowl cleaner??? That's not in my job description.

I am trying to do a very, very nice Commonwealth build with as many Brit marked parts as I can find, and plan on getting one of those new Brit cut Entréprise receivers. I also have some very nice restorable original wood furniture to go on it.

Best Regards,
Slo cat

stimpsonjcat
January 23, 2009, 17:12
I feel your pain, my feline friend.

Led
January 23, 2009, 18:41
My solution to stubborn paint is more line pressure to the blast gun. :)

Later,
Stephen

flopshot
January 23, 2009, 19:03
i haven't seen many paints that could stand up to acetone or laquer thinner and a brass brush.

Originally posted by Slo cat

Toilet bowl cleaner??? That's not in my job description.

maybe you could ask Vince about that. :uhoh:

the gman
January 25, 2009, 16:23
Originally posted by flopshot
i haven't seen many paints that could stand up to acetone or laquer thinner and a brass brush.

Obviously you haven't worked with Sunkorite (standard British military issue weapons paint) very much.......;) That stuff is stinky going on & extremely hard to get off weapons, clothes, fingers, noses, etc, etc........:eek: :eek: :eek: AMHIK........:uhoh: :sad:

I can offer no help on how to get it off other than elbow grease & determination. Good luck!:D