PDA

View Full Version : Why not a revolver in 7.62 x 25?

motosapien
January 22, 2009, 15:10
Ruger still makes a blackhawk in .30 carbine. Seems like all you'd need do is ream the cylinder out to the new caliber. If Ruger got with the program, they could offer that cylinder as an extra. Be better if the revolver came in stainless.

Retired Bum
January 22, 2009, 17:00
The problem is that high pressure rounds like the 7.62x25 will bind up the cylinder of most revolvers.

I have one of the S&W Model 53 .22 Jet revolvers. This cartridge is the .357 Magnum necked down to take a .222" diameter bullet. The Model 53 is notorious for locking up if the chambers and the cartridges aren't clean of oil or lube. I swab out the chambers with rubbing alcohol before shooting the 53. Cartridges get wiped down before boxing them up.

Back in the early 1960's both Colt and Ruger made up prototype revolvers chambered for the new .256 Winchester Magnum round. After much work both companies abandoned the project because of lock up problems.

The same kind of problems would happen with any high pressure bottleneck handgun round in a revolver IMHO.

The old Winchester bottleneck rounds such as the .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40 worked okay in the Colt SAA because they were low pressure blackpowder cartridges. I have modern revolvers chambered for all three of these rounds and I keep the pressures down to factory levels. No need to "magnumize" these rounds IMO. I have other revolvers chambered for modern straightwall cartridges if I want more performance.

BTW, I used to own one of the new model Blackhawk .30 Carbine revolverfs. Factory loads shot erractically in this revolver. I chrono'd GI and commericial 110 gr FMJ ammo and would get as much as 200 fps different between the high and low velocities in just one cylinder load. Lots of muzzle flash and blast but lousy accuracy. Just too much cartridge for the 7.5 inch barrel.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

motosapien
January 22, 2009, 18:40
I wonder just how high that pressure is? The CZ52 pistol uses it. I imagine that a bottle neck cartridge could set back against the breech face though. Ten cents a pop is pretty cheap shooting. It would probably do pretty well out of a 7" bbl too.

bouncer50
February 01, 2009, 22:12
How about a 30 caliber AMT automag with a custom barrel for the 30 caliber mauser.

Retired Bum
February 01, 2009, 23:26
AMT did make the AutoMag III chambered for the .30 M1 Carbine cartridge about 30 years ago or so. I remember seeing them in the gunshops. Kind of pricey and AMT had a very spotty reputation for QC.

AMT finally went belly up around ten years ago as I recall. The original founder and owner, Harry Sanford had died and the company fell on hard times. Their M1911 pistols were perhaps some of the worst examples of the breed being produced.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Pluribus
February 02, 2009, 01:43
The new High Standard Co. bought the rights to AMT.

http://www.highstandard.com/

The concern with high pressure bottleneck cartridges is the brass extruding rearward causing the case rim to be forced against the recoil shield thus, binding the cylinders rotation. Not an issue with semi autos.

TerryN
February 02, 2009, 03:09
I'm sure it could be done. As others have stated, how practical it might be is another question. I'd talk it over with Hamilton Bowen if I was serious about it.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

Andy the Aussie
February 02, 2009, 04:45
In a 1911 style pistol you need a fully supported chamber for the bottle neck/high pressure rounds. I have a Gold Cup in .38/45JWH in an unsupported barrel. i will have blow case head blowout long before I realise the full potential of the round.

Andy

motosapien
February 02, 2009, 19:02
It was just the cheap availability of the romy brass cased ammo & the cartridges reputation for zing. The 30 carbine round was a rifle round first so the powder is probably too slow to give consistent performance in a revolver or pistol.

I got a hunch it might work better than some suppose. Finding a reamer might be the toughest part.

M829A3
February 02, 2009, 21:27
I had a .30 carbine Automag III, it blew apart at the range. I thought it was a fluke, 2 months later at the same range a guy with another AM III, had his slide and barrel fly downrange after a shot. Stood there looking like Elmer Fudd after the finger in the barrel trick. They were and still are junk. The AMT AM II was interesting, but only liked 2 brands of ammo, mediocre accuracy, and blinding muzzle flash. Not sold on any of the Automags.