PDA

View Full Version : Almost toasted my bbl and new receiver.

twistedneck
January 20, 2009, 18:06
well.. it wouldn't torque down all the way so i just kept cranking, got the breaker bar out and still would not get to 12:00...

finally tweaked the gas tube threaded area. had it re-timed by a gunsmith and tapped out.

Should i anticipate any problems, the re-tap took quite a lot of metal off.

L Haney
January 20, 2009, 19:49
Did the gunsmith complete the barrel install to where you are ready to size a locking shoulder? Or do you still have an uninstalled barrel? Elaborate please.

Lowell

stimpsonjcat
January 22, 2009, 17:51
Sounds like he smashticated the receiver hole where the gas tube nut screws in.

There is no stress here to speak of, it should be OK as long as the nut still aligns properly, and stays put.

W.E.G.
January 22, 2009, 18:31
Pics?

twistedneck
January 24, 2009, 05:24
UPdate - gunsmith said its OK. he got it timed well and the shoulder size is 0.250

that is short.. but i think the argenite / dsa type 2 combo result in that..

should be a good build now. will provide pics. going to use several actual rounds to re-verify the head space. bolt should offer light resistance when closing over them and not close at all with the three slices of scotch tape method. and i am seeting it so it wont close over some of the really bad foreign Nato 7.62 ammo.. wont even come close to closing over a go gage with that headspace.. at the smiths house.

ce
January 24, 2009, 09:24
When it won't go, it won't go.

If you can't get it, you can't get it.

If it doesn't it work, it doesn't work.

When you should stop, you should stop.

I think we all learned a valuable lesson today.

ByronF
January 25, 2009, 08:10
Originally posted by ce
When it won't go, it won't go.

If you can't get it, you can't get it.

If it doesn't it work, it doesn't work.

When you should stop, you should stop.

I think we all learned a valuable lesson today.

OOOH! OOOOH! I KNOW THIS ONE, TEACH! Make sure to have a long cheater bar and a gas tube area tweaker before attempting to time your barrel to 12:00.

What kind of receiver holding device were you using? What barrel turning device were you using? No HS gages? "Hope" is not a method. Rule of thumb that will send the WECSOGgers away with a harumph and a hiss: probability of success is directly proportional to the number of proper tools one is using. If you bump into a WECSOGger at a party pull up a seat and don't leave! They'll regale you with tales of good ideas that weren't and show evidence with a collection of damaged merchandise. Interestingly, WECSOGging is a cycle, not a linear event. If enough WECSOGging is applied to a situation one usually arrives back at the starting point but with a much uglier weapon.

Byron