View Full Version : Israeli FAL Handguard spacer rings

Douglas Wozny
January 20, 2009, 11:34
Looking for two (2) of the clip/spacers that clip onto the gas tube and fit into the grooves cut into the wood portion of the Israeli handguards.

I checked SARCO's website and they list the "spacers". Does anyone know if they REALLY have them?

January 20, 2009, 16:09
I have aftermarket h-grds spacer rings available.

2 std spacers are $20.00 shipped.

Add $2.00 (optional) to insure.

J. Armstrong
January 20, 2009, 16:42
Normal issue was one spacer in the forward slot, rear slot empty. Don't ask me why, I dunno :D
That said, everyone seems to insist on putting two on, so have at it :beer:

January 20, 2009, 17:45
that would explain why I could only find 1 in my parts stash!! it is interesting to know that even though the hand guards are cut for 2 clips ,only 1 was actually used.

January 20, 2009, 17:54
Originally posted by L/FN
I have aftermarket h-grds spacer rings available.

2 std spacers are $20.00 shipped.

Add $2.00 (optional) to insure.

Larry, is there a difference between the Heavy-Barrel spacers and the Light-Barrel spacers?

If so, can you describe?

Douglas Wozny
January 20, 2009, 19:01
W. E. G.

There is NO difference between the ORIGINAL Israeli spacers used on the heavy and standard barrel FAL. The orginials had a "C" profile and "snapped" over the gas tube. The open part of the "C" allowed for the larger diameter of the heavy barrel not to interfer. My understanding of "after marker" spacers is that they are "donuts" that slide unto the gas tube. To use the after marker spacers on a heavy barrel you must either notch the barrel (IMHO a bad idea) or relieve the outside diameter of the spacer.

Lee Carpentieri
January 20, 2009, 19:54
All the Israeli light barrel kits I have which is several have the full donut with no center lip and have a hole in them on the outside of the donut for water drainage. From what I was told by the former lead engineer at the Israeli Government arsenal from 1953 to 1978 was that the spacers could be used in either slot according to the troops arm lenght and where their hand would be on the wooden forearm grip.

January 20, 2009, 20:11
H-grd spacer line up.

TL Aftermarket std.
TR Aftermarket HB
BL Izzy std
BR Izzy HB

Std h-grds will accept 1-2 std spacers

HB h-grds on std bbl will use 1 std spacer unless grill is cut for 2.

HB h-grds on HB bbl will use 1 HB spacer unless grill is cut for 2.

Thar ya go!

January 20, 2009, 22:44
Here is the setup I used on my DS Izzy HB.

The spacer ring was fabricated from a .500" steel shaft collar that was opened up to .700" on the drill press. The set screw hole was ground out on a bench grinder when the 'horseshoe cut' was made. The legs were finished by rounding with a Dremel. Tool marks were removed with an emery cloth and finish 'blue' done in a ziplock baggie. Total cost around 3 bucks. Works great with the Izzy hand guards.

Other parts are:

DS Izzy length gas piston
Izzy gas regulator
IMBEL thick walled gas tube, chrome lined
Belgian gas tube nut from FWRA SA kit.

*corrected spacer ring id to .700"

January 20, 2009, 22:55
That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Moved to the FAQ/reference forum.

January 21, 2009, 00:40
Are the originals steel or aluminum? I thought I read here somewhere they were aluminum but it may have been some aftermarket ones.

January 21, 2009, 00:48
I have aftermarket aluminum discs on my Izzy LB clone.

January 21, 2009, 10:11
Originally posted by W.E.G.
I have aftermarket aluminum discs on my Izzy LB clone.

Thanks W.E.G. I think I'll build one out of aluminum.

January 21, 2009, 10:16

February 21, 2009, 11:57
I put both on mine for aesthetics. However the rear one is loose and rattles a bit, so I thought about taking it off. Then I noticed the front sling swivel rattles too, so I left it alone. My spacers are aluminum and I guess they're new because they look too nice to be surplus.

September 06, 2011, 20:12
Uh, I feel so dumb.
I thought these spacers somehow fit around the barrel.
I can see from JAB's photo that they fit around the gas tube.