PDA

View Full Version : What US parts for a HBAR build?

ratas calientes
January 18, 2009, 21:48
I picked up an Izzy HBAR kit. Now I am wondering . . . . what US parts should I use? With the HBARs, I have limited options, since things like the muzzle device are probably not available as a US part.

So, what US parts do you folks with HBARs like to use?

http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Ron Walker
January 18, 2009, 22:02
Pistol grip, receiver, HTS, piston, gas tube is one possible combo, or substitute a DSA barrel for the Izzy for a variation (you can sell your Izzy bbl) Ron

vmtz
January 18, 2009, 23:10
Rats,

You need to call the Zen master. I know I was at pinewood derby yesteday.

As for US parts:

Metric H/T/S
DSA gas tube, Izzy length
Pistol grip
Tapco or Mountainman Izzy charging handle
Tapco Izzy bolt carrier
FSE or GunPooper flash hider.
DSA heavy barrel.
DSA or Entreprise receiver.

That is ten for you to choose from

Fr. Vince

ratas calientes
January 18, 2009, 23:21
Metric H/T/S Sounds good for the first three.
DSA gas tube, Izzy length You mean gas piston? Looks like DSA has them. Good. That's four.
Pistol grip So the Izzy PG is just like any other FAL PG? That I wasn't sure of. Now we have five.
Tapco or Mountainman Izzy charging handle Didn't know about these.
Tapco Izzy bolt carrier Nor this one.
FSE or GunPooper flash hider. A quick look didn't turn up this one.
DSA heavy barrel. Want to keep the kit barrel. Very nice, and already refinished.
DSA or Entreprise receiver. I have a DSA type II. Now up to six.

I also use US floor plates, so I can go this way or look into the other options.

Thanks - http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

vmtz
January 18, 2009, 23:32
I got the last GP flash hider.

I also have a charging handle and tapco bolt carrier.

Fr. Vince

BUFF
January 19, 2009, 10:36
Mine had an Entreprise Izzy "Match" upper, h,t,s, pistol grip, gas piston and a "muzzle device/fake brake" from Gunplumber. Assembled and finished by one member here and then I bought it from Potsqually, who no longer visits us.

I think ARS also took some of his HB fake brakes and cut the slots all the way through, to get rid of the ones he had left. I thought I bought one, intending to replace the fake brake on mine, but I couldn't find it when I sold the rifle, so I may well be mistaken. Vince's posting above makes me think my memory may be correct, but all too often Vince is full of $h!t and his statements can't be trusted for accuracy. As a fellow NM thug, you would be more able to evaluate this than am I.

Right now, I would go with the mag floor plates if nobody responded to a "WTB" posting for an ARS muzzle device in Marketplace.

Mountainman seems pretty handy with a lathe and milling machine. If Vince would loan you his for a model, perhaps M.M. may be willing to try making one, for his own learning and experience as well as your edification.

vmtz
January 19, 2009, 10:53
Sadly you don't know what you are talking about.

ratas calientes
January 19, 2009, 11:41
After I thought about it, I do recall Vince purchasing a US-made charging handle. I don't recall his use of the US-made bolt carrier, however.

Looks like I need to snag a DSA HBAR gas piston, and a US pistol grip in the near future.

Oh, and BUFF, all of us in NM know that Vince can be full of it, but his wife asked all of us to be nice and play with the poor fella, 'cause he has so few friends. :devil:

http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

mountainman
January 19, 2009, 17:37
good news is that pretty soon I will be doing my own parkerizing. And I mean soon