PDA

View Full Version : Help removing bipod ?

OldLawman
January 18, 2009, 12:04
I have a new DSA StG 58c, which came equipped from the factory with metal handguards and a bipod.

I'd like to remove the bipod, and it looks as though all that needs to happen is to remove two large screws acting as both the pivots and holding the two halves of the bipod clamp around the barrel.

However, they are stuck tight ! Even with a big industrial-size screwdriver, it will not budge. I shot a little Kroil around the screws, but no go. I would like to not bugger it up, so I can sell the handguards and bipod.

Am I missing some trick here ?

bykerhd
January 18, 2009, 12:15
Look on the underside and you will see the two "castle" nuts that are keeping those screws from budging.
The STG tool, DSA's special socket, or MAYBE a homemade tool can be used to remove them.
Careful though. They are expensive to replace. When you find them.:wink:

OldLawman
January 18, 2009, 12:34
Ok, you've got me - what special StG tool ? Is tis something on DSA's website ? (I'll go there next)

Pluribus
January 18, 2009, 13:57
Maybe this will help:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118041&highlight=castle+nut

bykerhd
January 18, 2009, 14:39
It appears DSA no longer has the STG wrenches. Or, anyone else that I can find.
The special castle nut socket no longer seems to be available either.
The "roll your own" modified screwdriver sounds like the way to go now.
Court in Fla's advice to warm things up a bit first to loosen the bond is likely a very good idea.
If you really screw the castle nuts up, DSA DOES offer replacement sets of castle nuts and screws for ONLY $ 12.95 plus S & H. :eek:
Good luck.

Arby
January 18, 2009, 22:17
DSA still advertises the Stg cleaning kits, which include the Steyr wrench.

OldLawman
January 18, 2009, 22:59
Thanks - I ordered one online as soon as I read your posting.

Hopefully they still have at least one left (for me).

OldLawman
January 21, 2009, 22:02
My surplus Austrian cleaning kit arrived today with the combo tool.

Just the ticket ! Bipod is off and soon to be sold with the metal handguards as soon as my replacements are here.

Thanks to all who responded.