PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 BBL Throat Erosion = 8 !!! Waste of Time??

tac556-1
January 17, 2009, 05:28
Picked up an L1a1 Australian/mixed kit to put on my DSA L1A1 receiver. Seller advertised the barrel as gauging at "1" and being "like new" for throat erosion.

Got the kit, it gauges at about 7.5-8 using the usual ARA-MOR M14 throat erosion gauge. This guage usually reads 0-1 for Imbel and STG barrels that I've checked. The L1A1 barrel looks to have decent rifling (well worn but serviceable) and the muzzle looks OK (Bullet check leaves 1/4" of bullet showing). The breech end has got a worse than usual indention from the top of the bolt.

In addition, the gas block on the barrel is all buggered up and will have to be replaced. Seller did include a good gas block, but now I've got to swap those out (which I've never done before). Seller never mentioned that the gas block was messed up.

My question is, should I bother with trying this barrel? If I keep it I'll certainly want a partial refund, as I paid for a "like new" barrel and I got a well used one. Or is this just too far gone to mess with? I want to build a nice inch rifle, don't mind spending the money, but finding an original L1A1 barrel hasn't been easy, and I'd prefer to use an original barrel for an authentic build.

Seller says he never actually gauged it, but it was sold to him as gauging at "1"....irritating. I paid over $400 for this kit, mainly for decent wood and an intact barrel. Got a good Australian spares set for $140 with cut barrel from someone else...so I figure I paid $260 for the barrel- which I was glad to do, if only it was as advertised...

Whole thing makes me wish I hadn't sold off the "weird FAL" kits that I had some years ago before I got into FALs...I sold off what I later learned were L1A1 kits (nice condition british kits). Think I sold them at $125....damn.

Anyone with opinions please chime in, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. If you have a nice L1A1 barrel that hasn't been cut down or messed up, email me!

shlomo
January 17, 2009, 09:13
Use the 30-06 shank on the gauge like the seller did, and all will be well.

ce
January 17, 2009, 10:37
You got biffed, dude.

Not neccessarily by the seller, he got biffed, too, but the biffage is complete.

That barrel is soiled. It's bunk. It is a useless stool.

But all is not lost, get yer money back, and send it to me, yeah, that's it, I'm yer Huckleberry, send the money to me.

Send me $335 for an L1A1 barrel, and $15 shipping, because every time I say free shipping, I get stretched, so this way I can feel like you're in the barrel, not me.

I won't make any preposterous claims, I'll let you do that, after you've given it your very thorough examination.

It will be a Lithgow barrel, complete and correct and as new as the day it left Lithgowania, with all the appurtenances and acoutrements neccessary to spin it right into your receiver. A front end, as it were.

Just don't tell Sturmgrenadiere, or he'll want one, too.

Hurry, I need the money.

Prices and condition are subject to capricious whims and fits of madness, seller assumes all responsibilty for satisfaction of buyer, if not completely satisfied, return for full refund, with heaps of scorn and derision.

Check trader rating for testimonials and character evaluation, PM for address to SEND THE MONEY.

Edited on first whim to raise price.

Tempus Fugit.

Carpe Diem.

shlomo
January 17, 2009, 10:50
Peen it. Peen it till it cries, and ce will trade you straight up. He's a sucker for dimples.

gunplumber
January 17, 2009, 10:55
erosion gauges don't mean very much except in tracking a single barrel over its life or comparing two identical barrels. A new match barrel with longer leade will show "more erosion" than a worn out barrel with a shorter leade, and number of grooves.

And just where does one measure? on the M14/M1 its at the ejection port.

What is the reference point for a FAL?

shlomo
January 17, 2009, 11:42
Originally posted by gunplumber
erosion gauges don't mean very much except in tracking a single barrel over its life or comparing two identical barrels. A new match barrel with longer leade will show "more erosion" than a worn out barrel with a shorter leade, and number of grooves.

And just where does one measure? on the M14/M1 its at the ejection port.

What is the reference point for a FAL?

Good points.

It seems reasonable to me that we can use the rear of the cartridge as a general datum point for any gun, since throat wear will gauge as constant from that point with a given t/e gauge.

I just checked the position of the heads of chambered cartridges in the M1 and the FAL (imbel rec'r). The relative position of the heads to the foremost edge of the ejection port is so similar that, for the purposes of visually reading a reference gauge, I would call them equivalent.

BTW--an increment on a t/e gauge is a tenth of an inch. I'm used to highpower guys who get wrapped around the axle when their .223 erodes .075". Thirty cal G.I. barrels may be an entirely different kettle of fish, but .800" worth of erosion is a buttload. No telling exactly what it means in terms of general accuracy, but it ain't gonna be good.

MAINER
January 17, 2009, 12:29
Your call but, if it were me, I'd get my money back and send it to CE.
I'd always be wondering "what If"?

FWIW; I drive myself nuts second guessing myself. Always go with the best you can find.

msnyder
January 17, 2009, 13:25
My TE gauge instructions state that a reading of 8 is roughly equivalent to 8,000 rounds. "Old Dirty" has >20,000 through it and it's still accurate.

ce
January 17, 2009, 14:07
Ok, I just tried the throat erosion guage on the ol' lady, and she gagged big time, so I'll say she's still good to go.

Sank heaven, for leetle gerls.
For leetle gerls grow biggair every day!

Ah, hon hon hon...

shlomo
January 17, 2009, 22:46
Ain't nobody gonna top that.

I'm gettin' back under the porch.