PDA

View Full Version : Gun Kote / Dura Kote

KentuckyMedic
January 16, 2009, 23:00
I need to refinish my STG - 58 what is the better finish between the two? also which is easier to apply. thanks Rick

owlcreekok
January 16, 2009, 23:19
If it was me, I would do my best to get it blasted and parked. If you still wanted a top coat on that, then you can count on a good subsurface for it. Me, I like park. Sprays can be kewl 2 though. 2 each his own.

Ron Walker
January 17, 2009, 20:41
I've used Gunkote, Duracoat, and Molycoat, and now I use only Gunkote. over parking, of course. Ron

Led
January 17, 2009, 20:54
+1 on GunKote.

I've done gunkote over parkerizing and gunkote over freshly sandblasted metal. Both with excellent results. The secret is absolute obsessive preparation of the part before it's sprayed. The base metal, either naked or parked must be 100% free of contaminates. I use break cleaner that is 100% TCE for the degreasing. Handle the part only on areas that are not to be sprayed and wear good latex or nitrial gloves.

As for the application there is only one choice, airbrush. The brownell's spray can gunkote does not provide the necessary control to get a perfect application. Save yourself a headache and get an airbrush.

That's it,
Stephen

tiblow
January 18, 2009, 23:26
Originally posted by owlcreekok
If it was me, I would do my best to get it blasted and parked. If you still wanted a top coat on that, then you can count on a good subsurface for it. Me, I like park. Sprays can be kewl 2 though. 2 each his own.

This is good advise. I use only Gunkote and it to me is best, but prep heavy and that's necessary to do. But if the park is not what you like then you will still be able to go to Gunkote or I would guess Durakote over park is ok too.....

Dunk rd here on the files does a good job of parking.....

Rifle_Guy
January 19, 2009, 11:03
GonKote.

Hands down.

4895SHOOTER
January 23, 2009, 18:24
Has anyone tried the Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat available from Midway? I'm planning several finish projects soon; should I be concerned about the 300-350F on aluminum parts?

XHardrock
January 23, 2009, 21:35
Exactly what Led stated.
I've since set up for park but have 2 rifles that are Gunkote over blasting and they are holding up perfectly, much better than I expected.

fire for effect
January 24, 2009, 17:58
I have used Brownell's Alumahyde II spray with pretty good results. it is an epoxy based paint, and comes in a variety of colors.

wheat
January 25, 2009, 20:45
I have used Duracoat and Guncoat.
Both provide great results with proper prep, but It's like painting anything else,
90% is prep.
These are, afterall, just repackaged auto finishes.
Bottom line, the painter is only as good as the prep guy(s).