PDA

View Full Version : breeching washers

benchracer
January 16, 2009, 15:05
Is a breeching washer for an inch pattern FAL something different from the barrel timing shims being sold by Gun Parts Guy? I get the impression that they are not the same thing.

If they are not the same thing, does anyone have an idea where I might obtain the correct breeching washer for a Brit kit w/original barrel that I will build soon?

I have been checking the usual sources (GPG, DSA, Numrich, etc.) and have found nothing.

I am really looking forward to my Brit build and I would be very disappointed to find my plans thwarted by a stupid $.50 part.

I hope that someone can shed some light on this for me.

TIA...

4895SHOOTER
January 16, 2009, 15:16
Call Brad at GUNTHINGS; leave a message, he will call you back and set you straight.

mountainman
January 16, 2009, 15:39
In case he doesn't have what you need give me a holler.

owlcreekok
January 16, 2009, 16:25
I take it by your question that you are not fully snapped in on what breeching washers are governed by. If you are, I apologize for any "inadvertent patronization".

When you screw an inchy together, what happens is that the barrel "overtimes". You then, back it off so that the barrel "TDC" (top dead center) is at 10:45 - 11:00 with respect to the receiver (as viewed as though you were sighting down the rifle). While the barrel is in this position, you measure at a few places around the gap between barrel and receiver. (feeler gages) This will tell you how thick a breeching washer you need. A thou' or two difference is no biggy. Just hit the average. When you get your washer in hand (GunPartsGuy or Gunthings may have a wide assortment of thicknesses) you place this on the barrel and torque it to 12 o clock time. I have used two washers together and I have sanded one down using a glass surface and 400 emery paper. Keep your fingers protected when doing this. AMHIK

Good luck.

Falfegnügen
January 16, 2009, 19:55
Originally posted by benchracer
Is a breeching washer for an inch pattern FAL something different from the barrel timing shims being sold by Gun Parts Guy? ... TIA...
A. YES and NO. They perform the same function, however the Commonwealth pattern barrels (British/Canadian/Australian) are designed to use it, and the FN-pattern barrels are not. The design intent for the commonwealth pattern breeching washer is much like the locking shoulder, in that it allows you to optimize the barrel breeching by choosing from a selection of different thickness washers. This way, both the timing and torque may be exact. The Commonwealth pattern washers are thick and hard with a precisely ground surface. In contrast, the FN-pattern barrel is not designed to use a breeching washer, which means that the barrel and receiver must be perfectly and consistently machined to acheive the correct combination of timing and torque. Unfortunately, consistant machining is not aways easy to achieve, especially with the mix of FAL makers out there, including original military and modern commercial manufacturers with inconsistant and sometime nonexistant quality control. This is where the breeching "shims" and the barrel shaving tools come in. These shims for the FN-Pattern barrels tend to be punched from thin shim-stock, and are often difficult to work with. Being thin and not as hard, some are prone to galling and splitting, but usually do work fine. I don't blieve original makers used shims or barrel shavers, with the exception of Israel. They are modern methods to help us build the mix of parts we now have avialable.

kingfish
January 16, 2009, 21:37
do you need to back the barrel out one full turn, then enough to go to 11:00?

owlcreekok
January 16, 2009, 22:23
Originally posted by kingfish
do you need to back the barrel out one full turn, then enough to go to 11:00?

Turn it in until it bottoms. Then back it out until it is at 10:30 or 11:00. This is where you measure for the breeching washers. Not a full turn.

Make sense ?