PDA

View Full Version : Borrow or rent muzzle threading die?

dsol
January 16, 2009, 09:29
Does anyone have one of the muzzle threading kits like this: http://preciseinnovationsllc.com/ol...readingkits.htm that has the die and guide to ensure it is nice and straight?

I hate the thought of buying it for a one time job and would like to rent or borrow one if anyone here has one. I can send money through something like paypal to cover the cost and the owner return a portion of it like a deposit and keep a amount for their trouble. Or if anyone is in the Lousiville KY area that may be able to assist, that would be great.

Thanks everyone!

Blood of Tyrants
January 16, 2009, 18:42
PM me and I'll do it on my lathe for you for free. You just pay postage.

dsol
January 16, 2009, 20:52
Thanks for the offer, mighty nice of you. I do not know how or have the necessary tools to remove the barrel though. I cannot send the barrel/receiver by mail can I? This is the part that must be shipped to a FFL isn't it?

dsol
January 24, 2009, 08:53
How difficult is it to remove the barrel and get it back on exactly right? Yes, I am a little apprehensive here, I have never taken one down like that. I do not have a receiver wrench or anything like that, should I even attempt it?

Bump looking for a Louisville area Fal'er that might be able to assist or anyone that would lend or rent a die kit.

Thanks for any suggestions!

4895SHOOTER
January 24, 2009, 11:48
BT has made you a priceless offer - remove barrel, send to good samaritan - you will not be able to die cut as accurately as can be done with a lathe!

dsol
January 24, 2009, 16:05
Originally posted by 4895SHOOTER
BT has made you a priceless offer - remove barrel, send to good samaritan - you will not be able to die cut as accurately as can be done with a lathe!

Oh, I realize that, he was very generous to offer to do that for someone he doesn't even know. I appreciate it, but just do not know if I can remove the barrel without proper tooling. Since he is in a different state, I cannot simply remove the upper and send it since it is the "firearm" part of the weapon.

If it is not that hard to remove the barrel, I would not need to take him up on the offer, I have a great machinest in my neighborhood who trades me work for computer service. I am apprehensive of removing the barrel, I have never done it before, do not have a receiver wrench, and do not know I would get it reinstalled properly after the fact.

willie91fx
January 24, 2009, 17:45
You can send a barreled receiver to another state to be worked on if you as long as it is shipped directly back to you! I've sent rifles and pistols to other states to be worked on ! Just remember it has to be sent back to you!

fastback65
January 24, 2009, 18:15
If I am not mistaken. you may only send a receiver to a FFL.

Ron Walker
January 24, 2009, 18:46
If I am not mistaken. you may only send a receiver to a FFL

That is correct. A non-FFL cannot send a FFL firearm or receiver to another non-FFLin another state. The repairer must have a FFL. Ron

willie91fx
January 25, 2009, 16:35
Originally posted by Ron Walker
If I am not mistaken. you may only send a receiver to a FFL

That is correct. A non-FFL cannot send a FFL firearm or receiver to another non-FFLin another state. The repairer must have a FFL. Ron

Yea I forgot to say that! The repairer MUST have an FFL to receive guns to be worked on.
I have sent whole rifles and pistols out of state to be worked on. But only to a repair place with the proper FFL.

Blood of Tyrants
January 26, 2009, 22:48
Louisville? Heck, man, you are next door. If you want to take a road trip down to Lebanon, TN on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon (about 20 miles east of Nashville), I'll take care of you. Louisville is just 2.5 hours from Nashville. We can step out back and try it out, too.

dsol
January 27, 2009, 08:58
Originally posted by Blood of Tyrants
Louisville? Heck, man, you are next door. If you want to take a road trip down to Lebanon, TN on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon (about 20 miles east of Nashville), I'll take care of you. Louisville is just 2.5 hours from Nashville. We can step out back and try it out, too.

Careful, I will take you up on that this spring! Thank you very much for the offer!! I will PM you later and trade contact information. I have to go out and deal with our little snow and ice storm today. Fun times.

Blood of Tyrants
January 28, 2009, 19:55
Better take it soon. I got my layoff notice for the first of April and will be forced to charge you then.

dsol
January 30, 2009, 21:06
That sucks man. I hope you won't be unemployed for long.

I just got power and internet back after three days of ice storm induced power outage. Good thing I had a generator and had just wired my gas furnace with a switch to isolate it and put a pigtail on to power it from the genny. Stayed nice and toasty warm, (along with half the neighbors). Good thing I had plenty of burbon, I needed it the last few evenings.

Bah, if you have to charge me, you have to charge me, I have been broke for so long this last year and a half, I understand. I will have to see what the next few months bring with my new job, traveling, getting caught up on my bills and such. I have a long way to dig myself out of the hole we have dug the last year, but it is doable.