PDA

View Full Version : Checking headspace on AK47

Trooper894
January 15, 2009, 11:14
Can anyone recommend the proper method for checking the headspace on an AK47 using the proper Go / NoGo gauges? Does the extractor need to be removed, how much pressure should be applied to the bolt carrier while seating the gauges, etc? I already realize the gauges, the chamber and the bolt face need to be clean and oil free. Looking at purchasing a AK that appears to have been a build rifle and want to check the headspace before I take the plunge. Milled Arsenal, Inc SLR100H receiver and Bulgarian parts? I'm unable to find any markings from a commercial builder anywhere on the rifle.

tac-40
January 15, 2009, 11:28
For a quick check you don't have to remover the extractor. Just pop in the GO and see if it closes. Then pop in the NO-GO and see if it doesn't close. If that all happens, you are good to go. Headspacing wasn't much of a problem if the build was from a matching numbered kit. The rifles had already been headspaced and drilled. Replacing the pin has no effect on the headspace unless the barrel retaining pin was drilled out and replaced.

gunplumber
January 15, 2009, 11:41
pressure on a go gauge is 15kg. It should be a very hard close on aGO for min headspace.

Should not close on a nogo with under 20kg pressure.