PDA

View Full Version : Which ATF Form To Build SBR?

larphred
January 13, 2009, 17:08
I have had an 11" DSA barrel for awhile now. I purchased a DSA receiver and was under the impression that when my ffl dealer received the receiver he had to designate it as an SBR receiver when he "sold" it to me.
However, he told me that I just needed to fill out an ATF Form 1 to license the SBR that I will build. Does that sound right?
Thanks

flopshot
January 13, 2009, 17:30
from what i understand you have to clear it with the local county law LEO.
only time the receivers have to be declared is for pistol or rifle.

1gewehr
January 13, 2009, 17:43
Your dealer is correct. YOU fill out the AFT Form 1 declaring your intent to build an SBR. Upon receipt of the approved Form 1, you can now build your rifle with 11" barrel.

The approval process does require a signature from a local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. This definition is pretty lax, and includes District Attorney, judges, State police supervisor, local chief of police, sheriff, etc.

USMC 0341
January 13, 2009, 19:08
Just to make it clear, understand that with this form you must also submit two passport size photos and two FBI fingerprint forms - as well as a check for $200.

If I were you, before getting your LEO signature confirm with your local BATFE office that the person you plan to ask to sign your form will be sufficient for their requirements.

4895SHOOTER
January 13, 2009, 20:47
I spoke with a guy last weekend who is intending to do the same with an AR. He told me that he called ATF and spoke with them, got the details; they were very polite and are sending him the correct forms. Seems to make sense to get it straight from "the horses mouth" and not rely heresay - right?

larphred
January 14, 2009, 01:34
Thanks all!

idsubgun
January 14, 2009, 06:29
And the ATF will ONLY accept THEIR fingerprint cards. Just go to the ATF web site (http://www.atf.treas.gov/) and order the forms. Get extras.

idsubgun
January 14, 2009, 06:32
Originally posted by USMC 0341
If I were you, before getting your LEO signature confirm with your local BATFE office that the person you plan to ask to sign your form will be sufficient for their requirements.

That person would be the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in his area. Only when a CLEO refuses to sign, does a person have to take further steps.