PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do a "Bush", "Scout", or "SOCOM" type rifle on a Chinese M14S?

Timber Wolf
January 11, 2009, 09:30
I need to start playing more with what I have and less buying new stuff (yea, right:rolleyes: ) and have a couple of Chinese M14Ses. They are a Poly and a Norinco that both function, headspace, and shoot the same although the Poly is slightly nicer finished then the Norinco. Put a nice USGI wood stock ($45 at a gun show) on the Poly and a USGI Fiberglass (like $14 from CTD way back) on the Norinco.

Always wanted a Springfield "Bush" rifle and in fact handed the cash to my FFL loooooong-ago-a-time to order one but the distributer was out so I got the money back. Ran hard at another one new in the box at an auction before falling out (other dude really meant to buy it) about four years ago. So, guess I will have to work with what I have.

Where to start? Don't need to hear about the horrors of the Chinese guns, I know all of that, just suggestions on how to go about a conversion.

pistol5
January 11, 2009, 09:57
As a matter of fact I have sir. Moses here on the files cut down a CL'd Poly barrel and fitted one of his Hurricane flash suppressors. I used a GLFS from Marstar an Voila! 17 1/2 inch barrelled bush(it's about an inch longer than the standard Socom w/muzzle break) that shoots like a dream. Has become one of my favorites. HTH's. Wendell

AliYahu
January 11, 2009, 13:13
Ron Smith used to be the man to do the job, but I'm not sure he's doing any civilian work any more. http://www.smithenterprise.com

Eli

mack7.62
January 13, 2009, 21:03
Warbird did one for me, installed TRW bolt and Criterion 18.5" barrel turned out great.

http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/?283e3b98

fallingblock
January 15, 2009, 21:23
Both of them turned out well - 17" barrels with GLFS.

The GLFS from Marstar is a real improvement over the Norinco front sight IMHO.

I opened the rear sight aperture to 4mm which allows a concentric ring
sight picture. Very quick in low light.

Timber Wolf
January 16, 2009, 07:32
Thanks for the replies, I need to get going on this project. My Norinco is begging to "be all it can be".:D

Timber Wolf
January 20, 2009, 12:51
Completed step one: Got online and found the gas lock front sight (GLFS) at Marstar. Tried to call yesterday but nobody would answer the phone up there (guess the Canucks recognise MLK day:uhoh: ). Got right through this morning and after a short time on hold a nice gentleman with a funny accent (wonder what he thought of my southern accent) came on and took my order. Even clarified that I had a chinese rifle to make sure I got the right part. Step two is deciding what muzzle device I want. I am planning on about 17 3/4"-18" of barrel but will decide what looks right after I get the flash hider in hand. I am still researching my options on the flash hider. I want something effective but also nice looking. Any opinions?

pistol5
January 22, 2009, 17:09
Give me an email address and I'll shoot you a pic of mine. Wendell

Brad_D
January 24, 2009, 13:21
Originally posted by pistol5
As a matter of fact I have sir. Moses here on the files cut down a CL'd Poly barrel and fitted one of his Hurricane flash suppressors. I used a GLFS from Marstar an Voila! 17 1/2 inch barrelled bush(it's about an inch longer than the standard Socom w/muzzle break) that shoots like a dream. Has become one of my favorites. HTH's. Wendell

I did the exact same thing (had Moses cut down the barrel and installed Marstar GLFS) except I had Mosed thread mine 1/2x28 and install an AR-15 Smith Vortex that he reamed out for .308. Makes for a compact package.

Brad

Timber Wolf
February 02, 2009, 10:11
Came home Friday to a package with my Gas Lock Front Sight in it. It looks good and is well machined but in-the-white. I did not think about it before but suppose they figure a fellow will finish it to his tastes after installation. I do wish it was parkerized though. In starting to plan for the barrel chop I did a little measuring on the Norinco’s barrel about where I figure the flash hider will be threaded and came up with approximately .573.

Right now the Yankee Hill YHM toothed Phantom is the front-runner for a muzzle device. I have a couple of the ˝”X28s on ARs and really like them and they make a big brother .30 caliber version also. It can be had in several thread sizes and two of them, AK M14X1 LH and FAL 9X16”X24 LH, both appear suitable for my current purpose. 9/16” = .5625 and 14mm is .5518 so either one should work. I just need to decide which die I would have more use for after this project.

And yes, I am going to free hand the die as I have no lathe. I know many decry this as WESCOG butchery but I have done it before and it worked fine. I may cut the barrel and install the GLFS and shoot the thing while I decide what to do. I have the Brownell’s muzzle facing and chamfering tools so cleaning up the muzzle after the cut is no big deal. Heck, I might actually like the naked muzzle look (fat chance:rolleyes:).