PDA

View Full Version : older Smith

January 09, 2009, 11:21
I picked up an older Smith the other day. I didn't really need another pistol, but when I was looking at it I realized that it was a small-frame triple-lock.
It has a six-inch barrel that was marked "S & W .38 Special Cartridge" and underneath that line was "U.S. Service Cartridge". Never saw that on a Smith before.
Anyone ever see that line?

Klatuu
January 10, 2009, 13:12
Anything like this?:

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/images/HA-537.jpg

S&W 1899

Try here:

Search @ S&W Revolvers 1857 to 1945 (http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=U.S.+Service+Cartridge&use_forum_scope=on&forum_scope=540103904)

January 10, 2009, 17:14
The barrel on mine looks a little thinner; the frame is a five-screw with a pinned barrel; and it's a triple lock, that is it has the additional pin-latch on the front of the ejector.
Also the marking on the barrel is:
.38 S&W Special
U. S. Service Cartridge

Thanks for the web-ref. I'll try to check it via serial number.

My bad can't register on that site.

Klatuu
January 10, 2009, 18:23
I think some email addresses get rejected over there.

If you can get in there, someone will absolutely answer your question, and fairly quickly.

Also, if you have a pic, I'll be happy to copy and paste a post from here over to there for you, and you can monitor the results. You can surf the forum without registering, you just can't search (the link I sent before was to search results), post, or get into the Classified section.

charles isaac
January 10, 2009, 22:46
Originally posted by 0007
The barrel on mine looks a little thinner; the frame is a five-screw with a pinned barrel; and it's a triple lock, that is it has the additional pin-latch on the front of the ejector.
Also the marking on the barrel is:
.38 S&W Special
U. S. Service Cartridge

Yours is an early M1902 M&P. The '02 is a round butt, the '05 is a Square butt. Later became the Model 10 and they still make it.

A Triple Lock is an N frame, yours is a K. The Triple lock has the extra lock where the yolk meets the frame, in addition to the one at the ratchet and the one at the head of the ejector.

January 11, 2009, 20:04
Right, CI, confusion on me. It's just been too long since I played with a triple lock. Looks like this one must be a 1905 as it has the square butt. Thanks for the help. I figured for what the guy asked I couldn't go too far wrong on it regardless.