PDA

View Full Version : Building a FAL - What receiver should I use?

wacki
January 08, 2009, 01:35
First time FAL builder and I'm building both in inch and metric but I don't know where to go for a FAL receiver. I don't know what FAL receivers are good, etc....

Thanks for the advice in advance.

BUFF
January 08, 2009, 03:58
About all that is available new from the manufacturers are DSA (inch and metric, long waits), Entreprise (inch and metrics) and Century Arms International.

The factories and vendors of these receivers all seem to have pretty long waiting lists and large backorders, depending on the particular receiver you want. Most of the makers' receiver production is used to assemble their own rifles.

Best bet right now may be to find one for sale in the secondary market on sites such as the FALFiles, in Marketplace. Watch the ads for a receiver offered for sale or post an offer to buy.

Besides the above brands, you sometimes find Brazilian IMBEL and Argentinian FMAP uppers, which are no longer imported, both excellent, IMBELs being encountered frequently.

Get whatever you can.

IMBEL and DSA seem to have the fewest build problems. Century and Entreprise have varied wildly in quality over the past 20 years, but their new receivers are said to be much better and usually all of them can be made to work. Once your rifle is running correctly, it will continue to run correctly, as far as the receivers are concerned. Nobody's receivers break or wear out in normal use.

Former domestic makers' offerings are also found sometimes, like NODAK SPUD's brand (I forget what he called them), HESSE and DPMS.

Between the lack of new FAL kits being imported and the fear of a new "assault weapons" ban and other possible firearms restrictions the new administration may sign, it's a tough time to buy the items needed to assemble a quality FAL. Rifle makers see little incentive to tool up for FAL receivers right now. That said, it may never be any cheaper in the future.

Best bet may be to buy a rifle already put together. They seem to be available for less than the value of their parts right now.

wacki
January 08, 2009, 09:02
Originally posted by BUFF

Best bet may be to buy a rifle already put together. They seem to be available for less than the value of their parts right now.

How do you figure? It seems like people are selling kits for 300-500 and DSA wants 1,600 for a rifle.

MAINER
January 08, 2009, 11:30
Originally posted by wacki

How do you figure? It seems like people are selling kits for 300-500 and DSA wants 1,600 for a rifle.

More like $1150. IF you can find an FFL that will let you order a rifle sent to him for a "Transfer" fee, it may be less.
http://www.dsarms.com/STG58-Austrian-FAL/products/9/

mohshard
January 08, 2009, 12:02
Yesterday, on another site, a prebuilt FAL with an Imbel receiver, compliance parts, BRAND NEW OLD STOCK barrel, and some accessories went for $750 shipped.

There are screaming deals out there on assembled rifles.

Also, a member and vendor on this site, courtinFL, usually has a few receivers in stock.

Shoot him a pm.

jbgw
January 08, 2009, 12:06
+1 Court

Ron Walker
January 08, 2009, 20:12
like NODAK SPUD's brand (I forget what he called them), HESSE and DPMS.

Dan Coonan, and they were good receivers. I wish he would make some more. Ron