PDA

View Full Version : what is a good m1a


declaration
January 07, 2009, 22:22
Looking to buy one, where should I start?
Thank you.

gunshack
January 07, 2009, 23:30
Where to start and end:

http://www.lrbarms.com/

1811GNR
January 08, 2009, 09:55
The only outfit that makes an M1A (http://www.springfield-armory.com/).

LRB does make a nice M14 clone though.

EricCartmanR1
January 08, 2009, 15:21
Springfield M1A's come with a lifetime warranty, if it is not right, Springfield will make it right. If you don't plan on tinkering with your rifle much, the SA is the way to go. You will get a great shooter at a great price and it will be cheaper than any other M1A/M14.

If you you do plan to tinker with your M1A/M14, you might want to go LRB. LRB receivers are forged and built more to spec. Springfield's Receivers are hit and miss when it comes to USGI specs. This is bad as you might not be able to easily use that USGI oprod, USGI barrel, or USGI scopemount you just found on gunbroker.

Another route is go Polytech, their Receivers too are hammer forged and as close as you will get to USGI M14's.

My personal opinion is it really does not matter which route you go. Once an M1A/M14 is properly put together, you will be more than happy with it, no matter what label it has on the heel. LRB's get a lot of press, but they really don't do anything special over a properly assembled Springfield M1A or a Polytech M14S.

declaration
January 09, 2009, 22:12
Thank You

JohnnyReb
January 09, 2009, 22:52
+1 for Springfield.

I also have a couple built on Armscorp receivers, but the Springfield is the Queen.

http://www.ramairfreight.com/jon/M14/Walnut1.jpg

http://www.ramairfreight.com/jon/M14/Walnut2.jpg

JohnnyV1966
January 09, 2009, 23:46
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
+1 for Springfield.

I also have a couple built on Armscorp receivers, but the Springfield is the Queen.

http://www.ramairfreight.com/jon/M14/Walnut1.jpg

http://www.ramairfreight.com/jon/M14/Walnut2.jpg

Beautiful wood on that rifle! Where did you get that stock and what was the cost?

JohnnyReb
January 10, 2009, 00:00
That's actually a Springfield (Wenig?) stock I bought on eBay. The dufus bought a McMillan and sold me this one. I had to go through 3 different hand guards to find a matching one.

lew
January 10, 2009, 00:34
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
That's actually a Springfield (Wenig?) stock I bought on eBay. The dufus bought a McMillan and sold me this one. I had to go through 3 different hand guards to find a matching one.

Would you accept a kidney in trade? My liver's fecked, but I still have two functional kidneys.

:)

hagar
January 10, 2009, 07:22
And I will raise you a left nut! Never had any kids that I know of, so unsure about usable order.:smile:

JohnnyReb
January 10, 2009, 07:52
How about a lung?

lew
January 10, 2009, 10:12
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
How about a lung?

Done.

JohnnyReb
January 10, 2009, 11:12
Just to rub some salt in the wounds, she's all Winchester to boot! (barrel, bolt, op rod, trigger group, and mag) :love:

GM4spd
January 10, 2009, 14:38
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
Just to rub some salt in the wounds, she's all Winchester to boot! (barrel, bolt, op rod, and mag) :love:

This was my reweld WINCHESTER until ATF made me give it up!! She was
a real all Winchester,well at least I got to put about 2000 rds thru it
before I had to give it up. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/6E3914D6FF9E70C/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/21BC1E6A89E6C5B/standard.jpg

JohnnyReb
January 10, 2009, 21:21
Originally posted by GM4spd


This was my reweld WINCHESTER until ATF made me give it up!! She was
a real all Winchester,well at least I got to put about 2000 rds thru it
before I had to give it up. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/6E3914D6FF9E70C/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/21BC1E6A89E6C5B/standard.jpg

Did you get to strip the parts off before you had to turn it in ?

GM4spd
January 11, 2009, 10:15
Originally posted by JohnnyReb


Did you get to strip the parts off before you had to turn it in ?

Yes,they only took the rcvr---even gave me a RECEIPT!:sad: Pete

4895SHOOTER
January 27, 2009, 23:29
Do it right the first time = Springfield Armory loaded w/medium weight stainless steel national match barrel. The lifetime warranty and the fact that SA will refund your cost of shipping if there is a problem is a big plus. I have done this twice and the problems (minor) were handled professionally and returned within three weeks. The model above will provide you with precision accuracy, total reliability and will hold its value well. You'll never look back - it's a no brainer!

Fn/form
January 28, 2009, 09:42
What about Fulton Armory? I've shot a couple of theirs, but never owned one. Mucho Accurato is all I can say...

ETA: What about Smith Enterprises, too?

USMC 0341
January 28, 2009, 10:07
Johnny Reb,

That's not wood... ...that's XXX gun porn.

Does your range make you mop up the other shooting stations after you take that to the range?

CF700
January 28, 2009, 13:29
I have a loaded SA M1A with blued barrel. It's well made and I really like it. I wanted to switch out some hardware on it and the folks there were extremely helpful. They were VERY customer friendly.

pooka
January 30, 2009, 00:22
I have a SA Scout on syntheyic stock that I really am happy with.....but I have a LRB M-25 that I love, side by side the LRB recvr is sharper then the SA:smile:

Timber Wolf
February 02, 2009, 10:19
Originally posted by 4895SHOOTER
Do it right the first time = Springfield Armory loaded w/medium weight stainless steel national match barrel. The lifetime warranty and the fact that SA will refund your cost of shipping if there is a problem is a big plus. I have done this twice and the problems (minor) were handled professionally and returned within three weeks. The model above will provide you with precision accuracy, total reliability and will hold its value well. You'll never look back - it's a no brainer!

I have never needed to send either my Poly or Norinco back for repairs, which is good because I don't think that is an option. I wonder do the chinese maintain a custom shop?:sad: Anyway, what does it say about a $1000+ rifle that you have had to send it in TWICE?

4895SHOOTER
February 02, 2009, 10:51
The first thing it says is, when given a choice. you bought a superior, in spec. American product. The second, despite carefull quality control, an occasional mistake can be made. Thirdly, how is the issue handled and finally resolved by the manufacturer. I have no experience with the Fed Ord, Chicom, Poly, etc., but given a choice I would consider what would be necessary for replacement parts and upgrades, and who currently makes in-spec. parts for replacement - then, lastly, I would consider the price.

denny
February 06, 2009, 03:43
Reb - two questions #1 was that Win one of those rewelds from the guy in Mo?? I think ?
#2 I'll bet the M1a looks great next to that fancy Fal butt.
Thanks D.

EinheitElf
February 06, 2009, 12:50
I have a couple questions that I need clarified...because I do not own one, I have people ask me about them once they see my FAL-they want to know why I picked the FAL, comparison on accuracy,etc...

#1- I have been told by quite a few people including some ffl's who SELL SA M1a's that you 'always' have to get the nice shiney SS barrel over the 'GI Rack Grade' model if you want any kind of accuracy, is that true?? I have a Saiga 308 that DID seem to group better next to a 'bare bones' SA M1a at a range and honestly a couple of my FALs group DAMN GOOD.

#2 The Lifetime warrantee is nice but I wonder about the hit and miss on the receivers? I mean...I think SA kind of 'rides on the Name' . i do not want to tell someone 'yea go get it BUT you have to spend like $2k to get a GOOD barrel,GOOD sights(NM),etc and dont even waste the $$ on a Rack Grade or Plain Vanilla one.....WHAT is the best thing I can suggest to people who ask me? I mean I have a friend who has one (NM) with some uber scope--about $4500 of rifle and scope...

Finally-off topic--how did the alphabet boys determine that you needed to turn in the reweld? Wre you able to get any $$ back from the person who did the reweld? Sucks that a piece of military history brought back from the dead had to be turned over to a bunch of POS people who could not run a hot dog stand correctly. The ATF needs to have a house cleaning....big time.....:mad:

4895SHOOTER
February 06, 2009, 13:31
Not to stomp on your post, but a loaded M1A w/ss NM barrel is about the cost of a DSA standard SA58 +/- $100. For the sake of accuracy, in my experience, the M1A is superior if we compare the two. A rack or standard grade M1A versus the STG58 would be another fair comparison. No FAL can compete with the Super Match. The FAL is a great design, but it cannot deliver the goods at long range like the M1A. According to the experts, Springfield Armory's receiver can be trusted to in specification. Cost and availability of replacement parts are another matter entirely!

ballou's dad
February 06, 2009, 17:46
Just nose trouble, GM, but why did you have to give up your beautiful Winnie? Thanks...

gunshack
February 06, 2009, 18:06
Originally posted by 4895SHOOTER
The first thing it says is, when given a choice. you bought a superior, in spec. American product. The second, despite carefull quality control, an occasional mistake can be made. Thirdly, how is the issue handled and finally resolved by the manufacturer. I have no experience with the Fed Ord, Chicom, Poly, etc., but given a choice I would consider what would be necessary for replacement parts and upgrades, and who currently makes in-spec. parts for replacement - then, lastly, I would consider the price.

Hehem. In spec? American? Who's specs are those, and since when are Canada, Australia and Taiwan American? The only thing accurate about this post is the implication SAI has great customer service, and they offer a great warranty on their product. Please research your other comments before expressing them as fact.

molonlabe texan
February 06, 2009, 18:37
Originally posted by 4895SHOOTER
The first thing it says is, when given a choice. you bought a superior, in spec. American product. The second, despite carefull quality control, an occasional mistake can be made. Thirdly, how is the issue handled and finally resolved by the manufacturer. I have no experience with the Fed Ord, Chicom, Poly, etc., but given a choice I would consider what would be necessary for replacement parts and upgrades, and who currently makes in-spec. parts for replacement - then, lastly, I would consider the price.

Thank you I will stick with my commie bastard chinky MILSPEC Poly over a NIB springer built mostly NON mil-spec nowadays with foreign parts to boot.

:rolleyes:

My Poly sings like a bell when I let go of the bolt..

Springers sound like a dead thud.

:|

4895SHOOTER
February 06, 2009, 21:24
The greatest thing about the M1A , and this thread proves it, no matter what you have - you like it. A quote from Jerry Kuhnhausen's, The U.S. Gas Operated Service Rifles, page 252, notes #3: "The consistently best commercial M14 type receivers manufactured to date have been made by Ron Smith and Springfield Armory Inc., (Springfield Inc., at the time of this writing). Although the foregoing is, admittedly, an opinion - it is an opinion based on the results of dimension checks, barrel and part fit checks(including bolt lug engagement checks), firing pin retraction checks, receiver hardness tests, and wear pattern checks - all of which tend to speak for themselves". This isn't a plug for the book, however it is a statement of fact from THE authority on gunsmithing. Be happy with what you've got, if you have a Super Match, great!

GM4spd
February 07, 2009, 10:19
Originally posted by ballou's dad
Just nose trouble, GM, but why did you have to give up your beautiful Winnie? Thanks...

ATF says even if rewelded from demilled parts(and selector section altered
and unserviceable) it is still a MG,so give it up or risk a FELONY conviction.
They were actually very nice--didn't kill my wife or dog nor did they burn
down my house. I met them at the gunstore where I bought it and gave
it to them. There were SEVERAL hundred of these made by Mike Kelly
in West Virginia---he claimed legality and ATF legitimacy via paperwork
but something went wrong-- ATF renigged/rethought it position. ATF did
not get them all or so I am led to believe,you may well run across one.They
were PERFECTLY reconstructed.If you do find one it is illegal but it also
means ATF never had a record of it to track it down,Kelley's steno skills were lacking but not his welding skills. Pete

mack7.62
February 08, 2009, 09:18
Originally posted by 4895SHOOTER
The greatest thing about the M1A , and this thread proves it, no matter what you have - you like it. A quote from Jerry Kuhnhausen's, The U.S. Gas Operated Service Rifles, page 252, notes #3: "The consistently best commercial M14 type receivers manufactured to date have been made by Ron Smith and Springfield Armory Inc., (Springfield Inc., at the time of this writing). Although the foregoing is, admittedly, an opinion - it is an opinion based on the results of dimension checks, barrel and part fit checks(including bolt lug engagement checks), firing pin retraction checks, receiver hardness tests, and wear pattern checks - all of which tend to speak for themselves". This isn't a plug for the book, however it is a statement of fact from THE authority on gunsmithing. Be happy with what you've got, if you have a Super Match, great!

Kuhnhausens's book was published around '90 or '91, the platform has come a way's since then. The early 90's SAI Valley Ordance receivers were great, since 96 when SAI took over production more QA problems have cropped up and you see fewer GI parts, still good rifles but today LRB sets the standard and is forged. Also the Chinese receivers are very close to mil spec and forged to boot.

m.

4895SHOOTER
February 08, 2009, 09:50
Thanks, in all fairness, the book was published in '95 and that's about how far my "research" has gone. I'd like to have an LRB, but as an armorer told me,"LRB is real proud of their $900 receivers that will last 100,000 rounds". I'd like to have one and build a great M1A. I went for a "good" M1A - that's what this is about - it's warranteed, and it's parts are interchangeable. If I get the money someday... LRB receiver, send it off to be finished with Armaloy; Krieger SS DMR barrel; TRW bolt; LRB new manufacture op-rod and gas cylinder; titanium gas piston, SI adjustable trigger; Mcmillan stock; but wait there's more $$$...right?