PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Interested in IHC?

DABTL
January 06, 2009, 19:45
I have an original IHC Garand that I have not shown in some time.

Anyone interested in how they look?

A square 10
January 06, 2009, 19:57
yes , its one ive thought about seeking out one day , id like to ad it to my 43 winchester to represent both ends of the M1rifles service life , ive felt id prefer the IHC to the H&R ,

but too many in line ahead of it for now , so id love to share yours vicariously

DABTL
January 06, 2009, 20:04
Originally posted by A square 10
yes , its one ive thought about seeking out one day , id like to ad it to my 43 winchester to represent both ends of the M1rifles service life , ive felt id prefer the IHC to the H&R ,

but too many in line ahead of it for now , so id love to share yours vicariously

I will dig it out. First, I have to remember where I put it.

I have an H&R also. I will post that one also.

CMP lore has it that the reason IHC Garands are so rare is they all were left in Vietnam. Maybe true.

When we sorted the Greek returns in 2003 after five days of sorting over 6,000 we found only three IHC. Of course I came across a full case of M1C, a case of Springfield in the wrap and half a dozen M1D's. So, it was worth the trip.

garandguy10
January 06, 2009, 21:14
You have only one original IHC Garand??

DABTL
January 06, 2009, 21:19
Originally posted by garandguy10
You have only one original IHC Garand??

No.

Survey Punk
January 06, 2009, 22:04
My tractor doctor would give his left goo-nad for an IHC Garand.
He's waiting for me to expire so he can wheedle in. We're hip to him!

JB

Ssarge
January 06, 2009, 22:50
I heard the IHC's were scarce because of Vietnam and we had given a bunch to Iran in the early 60's as well.
I have owned 4, all "postage stamp" receivers. Do you have any other variants Bill?

Mebsuta
January 07, 2009, 00:23
What is this postage stamp business? Mine has a drawing number then -D heat lot. Electo pencil A4 8-64 on receiver leg. No logo of any sort. RA NM operating rod, SA 46 barrel, IHC trigger housing, SA hammer, SA bolt, HRA safety, BME windage, Harvester ears. That is the way it came from CMP when you just ordered one and they sent whatever.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243129&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

MistWolf
January 07, 2009, 00:44
My father was issued International Harvester in the Marine Corps. Found one years ago at a gun show and bought it for him. Found one in Texas in a pawn shop & put it on lay away for my son. Pawn shop sold it to somebody else, though. Both were Korean War vintage. Far as I know, all "Thrashing Machines" (as dad called his) are Korean War vintage

DABTL
January 07, 2009, 07:28
Originally posted by Mebsuta
What is this postage stamp business? Mine has a drawing number then -D heat lot. Electo pencil A4 8-64 on receiver leg. No logo of any sort. RA NM operating rod, SA 46 barrel, IHC trigger housing, SA hammer, SA bolt, HRA safety, BME windage, Harvester ears. That is the way it came from CMP when you just ordered one and they sent whatever.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243129&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

Arsenal rebuild. Good parts, however.

Swampy
January 07, 2009, 08:01
Both were Korean War vintage. Far as I know, all "Thrashing Machines" (as dad called his) are Korean War vintage

Actually, very few IHC or HRA M1's were built while the festivities were still going on over in Korea. Production at both HRA and IHC had just spooled up to the point that complete rifles were beginning to come off the line when the Armistice was signed in July of '53.

Most, if not all, of the rifles used to fight the Korean conflict are of WWII manufacture...... SA's and Winny's.

What is this postage stamp business?

There were three configurations of name stampings on the heel of the IHC receivers..... known as "postage stamp" (most common), "arrowhead", and "gap letter". The last two are somewhat uncommon and command a premium price from IHC lovers-collectors.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

2007 NRA Missouri State 600 yard Service Rifle Champion
Score 774-29X.... with an M1 Garand

Owner-CEO Swampworks Inc. / JLK BULLETS

MistWolf
January 07, 2009, 19:36
Originally posted by Swampy

Actually, very few IHC or HRA M1's were built while the festivities were still going on over in Korea. Production at both HRA and IHC had just spooled up to the point that complete rifles were beginning to come off the line when the Armistice was signed in July of '53.

Most, if not all, of the rifles used to fight the Korean conflict are of WWII manufacture...... SA's and Winny's.
Interesting. Dad was in Basic during the Korean War, but they told him he was too young to go to cold weather training, being only 17. As a result he missed seeing combat. According to him, his M1 Grarand in the Corps was International Harvester. He even used to spout off the serial number on odd occasions.

Did IH make Garands before Korea? I thought I'd read in some Garand book they did not

Swampy
January 07, 2009, 20:08
Did IH make Garands before Korea?

No.....

What was his serial number ???

That will tell the tale as to what and when his rifle was.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

2007 NRA Missouri State 600 yard Service Rifle Champion
Score 774-29X.... with an M1 Garand

Ssarge
January 07, 2009, 20:44
Originally posted by Mebsuta
What is this postage stamp business?

The heel of the receiver was marked in several different ways by IHC or SA for IHC when they made up some of IHCs receivers.
Postage stamp, arrow head and gap letter style of marking the heel of the receiver are just names for the layout of the information.

1MOR
January 13, 2009, 20:24
Show me yours, Ill show ya mine. Where do we start, HR or IHC?
Now the hard part, gotta find em.

biyf
January 21, 2009, 12:42
Have an IHC from '55 with all original parts, LMR barrel in almost new condition, zero throat erosion and muzzle wear, though the rifle has been refinished and the original stock is gone.

1MOR
January 21, 2009, 19:38
Got mine from CMP in 1998. I ordered a Service Grade Garand and put a sticky on the order requesting a H&R Garand. CMP instead, sent me a POS IHC correct except for op rod and stock. CMP was selling Garand parts back then and sold op rods for $35. I put in an order in for an op rod with a sticky requesting an IHC part. CMP got that one right. One of the online parts sellers had a special on less than prime time beater Garand stocks, 5 for $50. When the stocks showed up, I found one with the IHC stamped barrel channel. Stock needs work but will finish up nicely. Those deals are long gone now.

ramiller
January 22, 2009, 19:13
there are nine variants of the IHC starting with serial 440xxxxxxx and go up to the H&R gap lettered receivers . the GCA had a interesting article on them about 8 years ago. probably the most interesting of the garands due to the springfied and H&R variations. I spoke with a importer about 15 years ago the was informed there are IHC rifles in Turkey. along with cases of M84 scopes new the the wrap.

xtremerange
January 23, 2009, 13:04
Never knew they were so rare. Now I am sorry I sold the Blue Sky import IHC I had back in the 90's.

DABTL
January 23, 2009, 20:31
Originally posted by xtremerange
Never knew they were so rare. Now I am sorry I sold the Blue Sky import IHC I had back in the 90's.

CMP says most were left in Vietnam? Might be true, might not.

M1FREDQ
January 25, 2009, 23:00
I was lucky to get 2 IHC' some years ago when CMP had them in the racks
at the North Store. They were in great shape. Shoot nice too!!!

StraightShooter
January 25, 2009, 23:38
Here's what the CMP was offering 5 years ago.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129124

I have added an IHC trigger group, bolt, and a few other small parts.
I just wish I would have also ordered a collector grade back then.

A square 10
January 30, 2009, 17:04
OK , back to posting the photos ................

heres my winchester -

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/Asquare10/mikesrifles007.jpg

wheres your IHC ?

Nepag
February 20, 2009, 17:35
I was just over at the CMP South store and spoke with one of the guys behind the counter regarding IHCs being still in the system. He thought they were all gone, never to be seen again by CMP.

However, they've got some really nice field grade (i.e. $495) HRAs, some of which are almost new. I miked a couple of the bores at between 1.0 and 1.5. I was lucky to find one that was absolutely filthy with grease and dirt that just happened to be all HRA (including the stock), except for the gas cylinder screw. I bought it and it cleaned up beautifully, including the cartouched stock. I doubt if it has more than 100 rounds through it.

Consequently, I think I'd be a fool not to try to find a couple more in similar conditions for investment.