PDA

View Full Version : sight-in question

NC Rifleman
January 03, 2009, 20:57
Took my G1 build out to sight it in the other day. Had to move the rear sight over to where it hangs over the side to get the rounds centered. Same guy on the board who has a business building FALs built a couple others for me with no similar issues with the rear sight. Supposedly the front sights were laser aligned down the center, my other builds only needed moving a couple clicks either way. So my question to those with FAL build experience is would there be any mfg variation in parts where trying another rear sight on my lower (NOS G1) or maybe even swapping out the lower would make any difference? Thanks for your help

JohnnyReb
January 03, 2009, 21:05
You (or he) will need to loosen or tighten the barrel slightly, depending on which way the rear sight is.

tac-40
January 04, 2009, 14:01
If it is just barrel timing, then this is not a big deal. Lasers, alignment jigs/tools, levels and all the other tricks of the trade help get the barrel timed. But every once in a while, the builder just misses the target and that required another tweak to get it perfect. Very little movement off top dead center will move the bullet strike a bunch. WEG will probably show up here and give you the math lesson on how to figure it out. I just remember that 1 degree is about 5 inches to the side.

If it shoots to the right
The barrel is too tight.
If it shoots to the left
The barrel needs more heft.

Just ask the guy who built it to adjust the barrel timing. Not a major deal to do.