PDA

View Full Version : Will this Barrel Vise work?

p712k
January 02, 2009, 05:58
I have one of these and was wondering if anyone has used one like to to install a FAL barrel?

http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/Parts_Accessories/Gunsmithing/AMER-001.gif

Deltaten
January 02, 2009, 08:34
Does the taper and diameter match?

Do you have a high quality, humungous vice?

and a bag of rosin?

Then, ya *should* be OK.
otherwise' build or buy an FAL-dedicated bbl block set.

vmtz
January 02, 2009, 08:37
PM, CE. He can show you how to use your AR barrel vise to build a rifle.

Fr. Vince

p712k
January 02, 2009, 08:56
Is CE his screen name?

vmtz
January 02, 2009, 09:03
Yes.

Fr. Vince

ce
January 02, 2009, 12:11
ce is not my screen name, why don't you shut up, Vince.

ce is my life.

But since you asked, you can use AR barrel blocks as a receiver wrench by laying one side as normal on the vise jaw, and fitting the other side in an inverted 'L' so that the block is in the mag well, with the inside flat against the charging handle slot.

Kinda hard to describe, just think 'L', and squeeze the barrel block wrapped receiver in the vise, and it is secure for 100 pounds of torque.

p712k
January 02, 2009, 12:41
Thanks for replying, I was wondering if they could be used as a barrel vise. I have a receiver wrench, wanted to clamp the barrel in a vise using the AR blocks and then use the receiver wrench to install the receiver.

ce
January 02, 2009, 12:44
Still, with the receiver secured, modify a 1 1/16" or 27 mm open end wrench to fit the barrel flats, et voila.

tac-40
January 02, 2009, 13:55
I have used the AR type barrel vice block to rebarrel Grands, Springfields and even a FAL or 2. However, once they are used for the bigger barrels, they get deformed enough that they may not work for the AR barrels.

You must have a good big bench vice to use them, and be able to clamp down on the blocks hard. Most often they will only grip in 4 places because the barrel cutout is too small. YMMV