PDA

View Full Version : Just one more 922r question, mag floorplates

JeepsAndGuns
December 30, 2008, 21:07
Here is my question. If I was to install a US made mag floorplate and follower into a mag, that will count as 2 US parts, and when I stick it in my rifle, it is 922r compliant (with my 5 other us parts). Correct?
BUT, as soon as I remove the mag, would the rifle not instantly become non compliant? And if I was to borrow or use another mag that did not have the us made floorplate and follower, it would make the rifle non compliant. Correct?
I would get a floorplate and follower for all the mags I have. But still, if I do not have a mag in it, am I not correct in saying that it is non compliant?.....untill I insert a mag?

Just looking at all my options for US made parts.

Biotech
December 30, 2008, 21:36
If no mag is in rifle it is compliant. Three parts would be missing from from the list of 17. It woyuld be the same as if you built the rifle without a flash hider you would only be required to have "6" 922 parts in build. As long as the mag isn't in the rifle it does pass. To be on the safe side don't have the rifle and a non- compliant mag together.

JeepsAndGuns
December 30, 2008, 22:04
Ah, ok, I see now. I had no idea it worked like that.
Thanks!

BUFF
December 31, 2008, 06:56
Biotech is correct. 922 doesn't require ANY U.S. made parts on a rifle, it just limits the number of evil foreign made parts to 10 parts out of a specified 20 parts, of which the FAL has 17.

JohnKSa
January 01, 2009, 18:35
How can one tell if a mag is compliant or noncompliant?

BUFF
January 02, 2009, 00:22
To know, the suspected U.S. made part would have to be marked as such, and even then you won't know for sure unless YOU made it, as many U.S. parts have no marks and some unscrupulous folks have stamped imported parts with U.S. markings.

There are some obvious exceptions, such as plastic magazines for the FAL that have only been manufactured in the U.S.

The entire idea is pretty rediculous. Still, it is the law and I find, at least for me, compliance is inexpensive compared against the costs of possible prosecution.

JeepsAndGuns
January 02, 2009, 11:26
Originally posted by BUFF
The entire idea is pretty rediculous. Still, it is the law and I find, at least for me, compliance is inexpensive compared against the costs of possible prosecution.

Yep, thats pretty much the way I see it. Does anyone know where I can find US made followers? I found the floorplates at www.gunthings.com But have not found any followers.

Thanks!

Clark
January 06, 2009, 13:19
It has been 15 years, but I think it only takes a minute to make a FAL mag floor plate with a pair of sheet metal shears.