PDA

View Full Version : G1/STG Build Issue


Fleabus
December 30, 2008, 20:10
I took some rifles out to sight in and check function today. Among them was a G1 clone built on a nice matching STG kit/DSA rec. With a friends help we copied_ fabbed, and fitted a G1 type barrel lug and soldered it on the STG Steyr barrel. With the G1 FH, matt black finish,_ and one of Richs nice wood BStock and grip sets I thought that would give a better condition representative G1 than most of the G1 kits. The rifle has issues with the carrier only going about half travel and sticking in the rails when trying to strip a round from the mag. The carrier moves fine/seats all the way home with no mag. My plan is to polish the rails on the rec and carrier with a stone and break/polish the rail corners and the lower bevels on the receiver. I`m thinking about ordering a spring set from Falcon too because the inner/outer tube springs on the built STG58 I have and an SA58 seem noticeably stronger than the springs in this build. It also has noticeably less snap releasing the carrier than the other Fals. I was wondering if any of you have run into weak recoil springs and if the Falcon spring set is OK vs DSA spring sets or Tapco sets? Your input/thoughts are much appreciated in advance. Thanks, J R...

ggiilliiee
December 31, 2008, 10:09
do your edje break and lap /polish ....if its still sluggish ...this will make it run oh so fast ..wont need new springs ...nothing wrong with them ....just restricted action..


http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/GGIILLIIEESRAIL/

Fleabus
December 31, 2008, 11:43
Hey G, I bow and give credit to your experience with the modifying advice and your excellent tutorial with great pics!! I`m glad and much appreciative of the members who are better on the computer capabilities than I am. Will cautiously use your advice keeping in mind "ya can`t put the metal back on" frame of mind. I do know that from past experience LOL. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help!! J R...

tac-40
December 31, 2008, 13:06
I built an L1A1 that would not run for more that one or two rounds before it went bolt over base misfeeds. No matter how much gas I dialed in, it still would not chamber the round. Installed a new set of TAPCO recoil springs and the rifle now runs through anything fed to it. The only problems I have had since was a bad mag (bent feed lips) that was quickly identified and corrected. Swap out the springs, remember the original springs are close to 50 years old.