PDA

View Full Version : Article from Shotgun News

daschnoz
December 30, 2008, 17:10
I'm looking for a an article that spanned a couple of issues.

Building a semi-auto Sten

I think it was in 2006, but I could be wrong.

Is anyone willing to donate a few pages (or photo copies) to my cause?

Thanks

Ron Walker
December 31, 2008, 14:05
Apparently no one remembers it, nor do I. I've read SGN for years and the only one I can recall was a dummy Sten. Maybe you can search their archives online.
There is a how-to online, however, but I don't remember the e-address. Try Googling Sten MkII and look for the webpage with Sten in the address. I believe that is where it is. Good Luck, Ron

Brush511
December 31, 2008, 14:50
I don't have the SGN articles but thought this sight may be of use to you. I don't know if you are a member already or not.

STEN Yahoo Group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/STENS/)

I've toyed with the idea of building one and became a member. I haven't even posted just lurked. Check out the files section for diagrams and mods.

mutter
December 31, 2008, 15:08
I believe I've got the article at my hunting house. I'll see if I can find it this weekend.

Slo cat
December 31, 2008, 16:12
It was a series of three articles on how to build a semi-auto Sten. I was interested as I have a Sten demilled kit. I think it was in Fall, 2006. Sorry, I don't have them.

Best Regards,
Slo cat

English Mike
December 31, 2008, 20:24
I have the issue where they manufacture the bolt somewhere - if I can find it, then I'll scan it.

doubletap
December 31, 2008, 21:28
I believe they published all three articles in the Treasury edition for that year. Seems to me they also sold copies of the article as well. Check the SGN web site and see if they offer it, otherwise PM me and I'm sure I have the treasury edition around the place and we can make an easy deal to photocopy something for you.
The most interesting part of the article to me was using the AR15 fire control group for the Sten trigger group. Looked like a relatively easy build if you have a mill, small lathe, and a mig welder for the trigger housing, mag. well, and trunion assembly to the tube.

muttman
January 01, 2009, 02:33
I have the two articals (he did not do a third) I have no way to scan off for you. they are in treasury #7 (2006). SGN has back issue's and treausury's on CD for a good price. muttman

lima
January 02, 2009, 10:19
daschnoz

...I think the SGN-9 (Suomi/Sten) article may be in three parts? The Sten build article you are looking for is just two parts:

Volume 60 - Issue 9, Pg 32-35 and
Volume 60 - Issue 15, Pg 18-22

My scanned copy is too big to post at 5.6 Meg in .PDF (and likely copywrited) so PM me.

The end of the article states that dimensional drawings with photos and builder's notes are available on paper or CD from Stone age Engineering. P.O. Box 125 SGN, Scott Ohio 45886. Price is $9.95 including shipping.

steve matthews
January 05, 2009, 23:55
I am the author of the STEN article that was published almost 3 years ago. I no longer offer plans due to liability concerns. The project is very challenging and requires EXTENSIVE machining and precise hand fitting of parts to create a safe and legal semiauto carbine. While the project works well if built correctly the project is complicated enough that it is easy to make mistakes and mess it up. Failure to build the project correctly could create an illegal full auto which is a FEDERAL FELONY. This was not a kit build project !! It was building new a gun from the ground up by utilizing some sten parts to give the appearence of a sten. It was not a conversion project of a full auto gun, it was a new made semi auto that only looked like the sten.. The best place to find the article is as stated above, in the SGN Treasury. I do not have any old articles and even if I did I couldnt sell them. When SGN buys the article they own it for ever and I have no further input or say so in the article. The published articles are also some times different than what I submitted due to edititng and space resrtictions so some needed info may not be in the article.. While the published article does not give all the dimensions needed if you are skilled enough to make this project you should be knowledgable enough to figure out the needed dimensions. Steve

steve matthews
January 06, 2009, 00:07
My reasearch indicates a publication date of 3-20-06 for part one and a date of 5-20-06 for part two plus the article was in the SGN Treasury #7. Be aware how ever that the publication dates differ between subscriber issues and newstand issues by a couple weeks. Dont know how one gets old treasury issues, I have to beg them myself to get old issues and Im the writer! Sorry I can be more help but I dont "work" for SGN, I just sell them the article and then thats the end of my connection with them till I send in an other article. Steve