PDA

View Full Version : short front sight?

matchmakertrading.com
December 30, 2008, 05:35
I've got a metric Century FAL, and while it works 100% and is accurate (group size wise), the sights are "off". On the 200 yard setting, and the front sight all the way down, I still hit about 10" low at 100 yards. Took a file to the front sight, and now it is "just" a couple of inches low, but I have almost no front sight left - to the point of more filing, to give it some "thinness" so that it "only" appears about 8" wide at 100 yards - prior to taking the sides off, it appeared to be 3 feet wide at 100....

Aside from more filing on the front sight, any way for me to get a combo of front/rears that will allow proper vertical adjustments and cover a "normal" amount of the target at 100 yards?

Not sure what kind of parts kit my gun was built from....

Deltaten
December 30, 2008, 08:12
what does the rear sight look like ?. Can you mic it from Center of hole to the sight base on the rcvr?

W.E.G.
December 30, 2008, 08:24
Its OK to make your front sight nearly invisible if all the rifle will ever be required to do is punch paper.

Its a mistake to do that if you might ever rely on that rifle for other purposes.

When the rifle shoots low by some large amount, the better method is to RAISE THE REAR SIGHT.

If the front sight is too thin, you won't be able to get any sort of useful sight picture in poor light or when firing at a non-stationary target.

Shorter barrels, and sometimes even the absence of a muzzle device, will generally cause the rifle to "shoot low," thereby causing the sights to not be true to the factory-stamped range settings.

vmtz
December 30, 2008, 09:34
This is a common problem with CAI receivered FAL's. I believe that it is the rear of the upper receiver that forces the lower down and therefore causes the need for a low front sight. I had this issue on a para, Imbel receiver, where the para cut was too shallow. I deepened it and the rifle used a two dot sight. The top cover was forcing the lower down.

Look at the fit between the lower and upper. You should be able to slide a piece of paper through between them. The problem could also be where they lock together. I have not messed with this area.

matchmakertrading.com
December 30, 2008, 19:45
Gun is nice, tight, accurate otherwise... since I'm in FL I think I'll look into visiting Court on my next trip down south... in the mean while, gun is good enough for SHTF at 200 yards, but not target work past 50 or so... I can live with that for a couple of months...

stlsmw
January 05, 2009, 23:36
If you have Century RIA1 Like I have or Franken FAL it probably has a Metric
front sight and an Inch rear. I have heard to zero this wepaon you ust set the rear sight up to 600 yrd mark and the front all the way down. Wonder if a metric
if metric rear isight would fit and rectify this problem.