PDA

View Full Version : Dimpled M1A Bolt...

Andy the Aussie
December 29, 2008, 23:53
....OK...now I am testing my memory here, back in the 1980s there was a recall of M1As by Springfield Armoury (I was in the trade at the time and stocked them) it was either the bolts with a dimple on top were "good" and a replacement for the problematic ones or the dimpled ones were the problematic ones....what was the story with this, I was debating it with a mate who worked in the same shop as I back then and were were at odds over the issue/cure.

Andy:beer:

pjpjr
December 30, 2008, 00:28
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
....OK...now I am testing my memory here, back in the 1980s there was a recall of M1As by Springfield Armoury (I was in the trade at the time and stocked them) it was either the bolts with a dimple on top were "good" and a replacement for the problematic ones or the dimpled ones were the problematic ones....what was the story with this, I was debating it with a mate who worked in the same shop as I back then and were were at odds over the issue/cure.

I thought the dimple indicated a hardness test had been done.

Andy the Aussie
December 30, 2008, 00:34
Nope mate, the thing I am thinking of was milled/drilled or cast into the bolt. Not like a hardness test prick.

shlomo
December 30, 2008, 07:36
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Nope mate, the thing I am thinking of was milled/drilled or cast into the bolt. Not like a hardness test prick.

Hey now! No need to be callin' him a prick.

Just sayin.

:wink:

L Haney
December 30, 2008, 10:39
Down boy, you are assuming Andy doesn't know how to use a comma when he need one. :biggrin:

Lowell

mack7.62
December 30, 2008, 13:38
I believe you are talking about the hardness dimple on US GI bolts, sometimes they were larger and more pronounced than at other times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/mack77515/Surplus/IMG_2502crop.jpg

m.

Rotor
December 30, 2008, 13:58
Dimpled (punch marked) USGI M14 bolts have passed inspection (a proof firing I think). This even extends to USGI replacement bolts with this mark.

Here is a TRW bolt. The dimple can be seen towards the front of the bolt.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Rotor_/M14/LRB%20Done/LRBdoneTop.jpg

Springfield Armory inc (SAI) did have a recall on some of it's cast commercial bolts in the 80's. The suspect bolts were identified by drawing # which differed from the USGI #. SAI used a mixture of USGI and commercial bolts with no serial # range governing which you might get. Headspace may have dictated which they used on a given rifle.

Their current bolts are forged and are not under any recall. Commercial bolts will not have the dimple but are no longer necessarily bad. Just not USGI.

JR

Andy the Aussie
December 30, 2008, 17:15
Thanks guys, the recall was in 1987 (current topic I know) but that was all I could locate just now.

And yes....I do know the appropriate use of a comma when making a point, prick...!!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ;) :p :rofl:

Andy:bigangel: