PDA

View Full Version : Who can modify my para carrier for izzy charging handle?

BB
December 29, 2008, 17:35
I'd like to use an Israeli charging handle on my DSA para; does anyone modify carriers to allow the forward assist function? I'd probably like to have Israeli sand cuts done at the same time.

J. Armstrong
December 29, 2008, 18:05
Actually, you can do it yourself quite easily with a flat file. Simply file away the carrier rail from a point 23 mm back from the front edge to about 57 mm back. Should actually be done on the rails on both sides which would then replicate the simplified Herstal sand cuts that Israel adopted and then designed the forward assist to utilize.

G2
December 29, 2008, 18:26
Originally posted by BB
I'd like to use an Israeli charging handle on my DSA para; does anyone modify carriers to allow the forward assist function? I'd probably like to have Israeli sand cuts done at the same time.

Get a hold of Adam762 here on the board. He's doing a batch of para stuff and can probably help you out.
G

Stranger
December 29, 2008, 19:08
Originally posted by G2

Get a hold of Adam762 here on the board. He's doing a batch of para stuff and can probably help you out.
G

+1

His work is great.

L1A1rocker
December 29, 2008, 19:11
If you have a bench top grinder that works best to rough it out. Then finish with a good bastard file and a little cold blue to finish it out. These measurments are in inches.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/IsrielyBoltCarrierMods.jpg

mountainman
December 29, 2008, 19:11
$15 would include S&H if you send it over. PM me your addy if you are serious. Izzy Sand cuts, never seen such a thing. Neither are they compatible with forward assist feature. I had to make some one a custom charging handle because they had sand cuts on teh BC. Don't remember who, but would be nice if they would chime in.

J. Armstrong
December 29, 2008, 21:38
The Belgians designed a simplified sand cut similar to the Brits but without the zigzag cuts. It was offered as a standard option but was not popular. The Izzies did adopt it and designed the fwd assist handle so as to function with the cuts. I do not know if the inch sand cuts are dimensionally similar enough to work with an Izzy forward assist.
When you look at an Izzy carrier, you are looking at the sand cuts. That is why the rails are interrupted on both sides.

BB
December 29, 2008, 22:28
Thanks fellas!

mountainman
December 30, 2008, 14:44
when you are looking at a sand cut carrier the cuts aren't just in teh rails, but rather all along the side of teh carrier. When I made that sand cut Izzy charging handle I had to scoot the stem/knob .100" closer to the lug.

J. Armstrong
December 30, 2008, 15:35
The Belgian sand cuts are not the same as the inch cuts. The Z cuts on the side of the carrier are absent. Other dimensional variations I cannot speak to.

mountainman
December 30, 2008, 20:20
do the Belgian sand cuts go all the way into the rails of the Bolt carrier? got any pics?

J. Armstrong
December 30, 2008, 20:35
All they are is simply a section of the rail "removed", that is, brought down flush with the carrier sides. I can try for pix if the GF didn't reclaim her camera !!!

mountainman
December 30, 2008, 22:32
that rail sewction removed is not a sand cut. on one side its for the Forward assist lug and on the other side it's just a machining reducndance that even GP hasn't gotten to the bottom of.

J. Armstrong
December 30, 2008, 23:33
Okay, have it your way.

fire for effect
January 03, 2009, 11:28
I have never considered the forward assist on bolts to be a good idea on any weapon. If the bolt will not close on your ammunition there is probably a very good reason, and you should not force it.

falakar15
January 05, 2009, 18:13
This is straight from DSArms site. The sand cuts are the cuts in the side of the BC, they just happen to go through the bottom rails. Those have nothing to do with FA . That bottom view picture on the left is kind of peculiar, it appears to be a picture of a standard BC without sand cuts. Oh well.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/kmcdmc/P033.jpg

J. Armstrong
January 05, 2009, 20:11
They are inch pattern sand cuts. Nothing wrong with them, but they are not what was used on the Izzies, and as you noted, were not intended for FA application.

EX1
January 05, 2009, 20:54
The Belgians did make a sand cut carrier with the zig zag cuts on the body. I have 3 matching # sets. Thanks EX1

J. Armstrong
January 06, 2009, 15:37
Agreed, but IIRC, they also made the "simplified: variation - which no one wanted ?

mountainman
January 07, 2009, 08:22
folks no need to argue when those sand cuts go through the rail like in the pic, that has the effect of deeming the forward assist in operable unless a special charging handle is made which I already have the blue prints since I already made one. :bow:

falakar15
January 07, 2009, 23:50
Originally posted by mountainman
folks no need to argue when those sand cuts go through the rail like in the pic, that has the effect of deeming the forward assist in operable unless a special charging handle is made which I already have the blue prints since I already made one. :bow:

right on !

Brad/gunthings.com
November 05, 2009, 11:50
J. Armstrong is correct, there is another version of sandcuts. On the Israeli carrier there are also shallow cuts on the bottom of the carrier. These are in addition to the large sections removed on the side of the carrier. The large sections removed also work as sand cuts, since they can collect debris which is in the rails of the receiver.

I sell metric carriers which have been cut for the forward assist and parkerized for $36, they have the rattail installed.

Photo shows an original Israeli carrier with original cuts on bottom and side. This particular carrier was chromed by someone in the USA.

http://www.gunthings.com/Bottomisraelicarrier.jpg

Brad/gunthings.com
November 05, 2009, 11:58
Cocking handle/charging handle assembly, original Israeli forward assist type, heavy barrel version but works on either version, lug NOT included, NEW $29.00

Cocking handle/charging handle lug, new $8.00

Bolt Carrier, metric carrier custom machined with the forward assist cuts to function with the Israeli forward assist cocking handle. These are not original Israeli carriers, but the forward assist cuts look identical. Freshly parkerized. $36.00

http://www.gunthings.com/carrier.jpg

Rich@CGW
November 05, 2009, 12:33
DSA Para Carrier Exterior Sand Cut:
Will require the gap at the left front, to be welded up and re-machined to fit the engagement length of the FA lug.

ps. If a smooth carrier, you only need to cut the rails

mountainman
November 16, 2009, 07:06
Originally posted by Rich@CGW
DSA Para Carrier Exterior Sand Cut:
Will require the gap at the left front, to be welded up and re-machined to fit the engagement length of the FA lug.

ps. If a smooth carrier, you only need to cut the rails
depending on how much said welder will charge you. I can make you an Izzy CH for $110 which will work with those sand cuts.