PDA

View Full Version : Attempting my first FAL build - which parts kit should I go with?

wacki
December 28, 2008, 23:18
I've built AR's and AK's and now I'm off to build my first FAL.

I've found a FAL Imbel Parts Kit for ~$430 and an Australian L1A1 Parts Kit for $249. Are there any other kits out there to be had?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of these kits? There is a pretty big price difference between these two alone.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

AliYahu
December 28, 2008, 23:58
Check the classifieds here often, you can find them starting around $300.

Eli

mohshard
December 29, 2008, 00:20
Or try Sarco Inc, a lot of folks have been happy with their kits recently.

Just decide whether you want to build an inch or metric clone, and then further, what country you're fond of. I'm a metric fan, and have a few, and am piecing another kit together.

James

spatin
December 29, 2008, 00:40
I'm not sure if he still has any, but James at Gun Parts Guy had some pretty nice sounding kits. I haven't seen them myself, but they sound real good and include all the necessary US Parts to comply with the stupid 911 requirements.
Sidney

BUFF
December 29, 2008, 03:41
The kits imported most recently have had their barrels demilled (cut into pieces), so make sure the kit you are buying either has a good barrel or is priced less than one that does. Barrels will run $100-$250 to replace.

With FAL parts kits, condition is practically everything. Bore condition matters a lot, finish and furniture condition not so much.

There were really no crappy FAL rifles made by anyone except possibly India, who's rifles tend to be crudely finished but often functional. Any parts kits from rifles made in Europe, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, Israel, Canada or Australia will have quality steel and accurate machining of their components

Metric kits offer more furniture choice options and magazines run about 25-35% less to buy than inch.

Currently there are no bad choices between FAL types. Buy the best condition kit in the style of rifle you want to own and you will be good to go.

jbgw
December 30, 2008, 18:35
Just got a kit from Sarco with the new barrel. It is NEW. Izzy LB handguards. The rest cleans up well. It is missing a couple of pieces (which they say are on backorder) which are not hard to track down. Can't beat the price.