PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X25 conversions????

Deltaten
December 28, 2008, 11:19
With the glut of cheap X25 amo available and the few shooters available.....
A series of questions comes to mind:

easiest conversion?
carbine or rifle?
pistol or sub-gun clone?
best base to work from?

ALl the carts that I have mic'd, the bullets measure out to .308". I have a series of FAL bbls that are FUBAR for use as-is. Potential to cut down the back-end and re-chamber??
OR:
use a spare AK bbl, same mods?
what about a chamber insert permanently fixed ala' silver solder??

Action type?
blow back with horrendous springs?
roller locked base on a '52
.30 carbine/ mini.30 semi
invest in a PpSH and go the seriously mod'd route?
Tube-gun based on one of the multitude of pipe guns out there?
short action bolt gun?...but that might take all the fun out of it :D

So.. if ya had yer druthers and could build from available parts with the least machine work, what would it be? I like the one Jerry built on the WAC/FAL; but..... don't know if I wanna use up that last WAC that I have;)

WHat say you, WECSOGers?

jerrymrc
December 28, 2008, 13:45
I was just ahead of my time. I think if I had to do one now I would look at the AKfiles. I have seen one done there that looked kind of neat.

Deltaten
December 28, 2008, 21:16
Hey Jerry;

Yeah; I have looked at an AK conversion. LIkely the best and easiest deal. Simple to fab the magwell from a PpSH grafted into the AK sheetmetal. Use a '74 bolt and get someone to shorten, turn and (re) sleeve a rechambered '74 bbl. That's the spendy part! Then to find a X25 reamer! :D... or: find a PpSH bbl and fit IT to the AK trunnion...Hmmmm?

projects, projects,
Paul

matchmakertrading.com
December 29, 2008, 10:30
I like the idea of a short action bolt gun. Saw a similar project to make a mauser based 45acp carbine (before rhineland arms came out with their kits, which are no longer available now). Sarco has solved their batf issues, and has lots of different mauser actions in stock...

Clark
December 29, 2008, 16:32
I converted a 1903 Turkish Mauser to shoot my cases of Tokarev ammo.
I cut down a Rem721 take off 30-06 barrel.

The hard part was welding extra material on the extractor.

S&B factory ammo:

2.33" 5 shot group at 100
yards [could barely see the target with 4x scope]

justashooter
December 29, 2008, 17:52
more interestingly, which cheap subgun is easiest to convert to 762X25? some 9mm gun with a different magwell and a heavier spring? falling into some in a month and wanna know which X3 to drop the cash on.

chromestarhustler
December 29, 2008, 23:46
ak 74 bolt in an ak47 reciever with the chamber cut down or make one from the sks barrel they got enough meat to be cut down and fit into a ak trunion. couple cheap 5 round mags cut up to stick a mag threw the bottom and weld up.

check the ak files couple of guys working on a few, getting the bolt down in weight is the major problem. i think they were shooting for 8 oz
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18310

7.62x25 is too long to fit almost any 9mm mag. its just to darn long.

justashooter
December 30, 2008, 19:43
Originally posted by chromestarhustler

7.62x25 is too long to fit almost any 9mm mag. its just to darn long.

so we go with pps43 mags and magwells.

jerrymrc
December 31, 2008, 19:04
Originally posted by justashooter

so we go with pps43 mags and magwells.

If you are building from scratch you can use an AK mag release and spring and grind the tab down.:wink:

chromestarhustler
December 31, 2008, 19:31
just try and find one of the type 79 subgun kits. already chambered in 7.62x25. will work on an ak reciever, and pps43 mag well can be welded in place of the odd ball factory mags.

instr8
January 01, 2009, 09:16
just try and find one of the type 79 subgun kits. already chambered in 7.62x25. will work on an ak reciever, and pps43 mag well can be welded in place of the odd ball factory mags.

Were these ever imported in any numbers? It would be a great starting platform but I suspect you would never find a kit stateside.

justashooter
January 01, 2009, 10:35
seen them in china in the hands of the guys in green, but never in kit form.

chromestarhustler
January 01, 2009, 17:37
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119663694

worth every penny wish i knew what it was

or someone need to modify the sgn-9 design into a 7,62x25, what did he build that for under 200?

chromestarhustler
January 01, 2009, 18:03
built with a pps 43 and ak 74 kits and steel tube like sten gun

JohnKSa
January 01, 2009, 18:17
7.62x25 is too long to fit almost any 9mm mag. its just to darn long.At one point I considered putting a conversion barrel in a 10mm Glock. The 7.26x25 rounds wouldn't fit in the magazine...

justashooter
January 01, 2009, 18:51
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119663694

worth every penny wish i knew what it was

or someone need to modify the sgn-9 design into a 7,62x25, what did he build that for under 200?

what a hack job that is. nothing like a type 79. throw away the front and rear sights and go to some crude crap made from sheet metal, change the magazines to the correct 20 round straight type, get rid of that ugly pps magwell, make a custom lower that mates well in the spirit of the 79...

sounds like a project. somebody send me a ppsh barrel.

chromestarhustler
January 01, 2009, 18:57
i know its nothing like a 79 but it was built and meets all guidelines and uses plentiful parts try and find a bunch of the correct 20 rd mags. lower ak pss mags are cheap and easy, we need to get a group together and talk mountain man or one of the other machinst on the board tp get use some suomi bolts and modify them like the sgn-9 except in 7.62x25. i can build the rest of the gun.

does 7.62x25 use the same bolt head as 9mm. cause i got a few ideas.

jerrymrc
January 01, 2009, 22:57
i know its nothing like a 79 but it was built and meets all guidelines and uses plentiful parts try and find a bunch of the correct 20 rd mags. lower ak pss mags are cheap and easy, we need to get a group together and talk mountain man or one of the other machinst on the board tp get use some suomi bolts and modify them like the sgn-9 except in 7.62x25. i can build the rest of the gun.

It might be because I can make 7.62X25 brass out of .223 if I have to.:wink:

JeepsAndGuns
January 02, 2009, 11:36

Yes, I reload 7.62X25, and I use a shell holder for 9mm. Funny, as it wont fit a shell holder for 223. The head of the 7.62X25 is too big to fit the 223 shell holder. Never tired to form the brass from 223. Seems like way to much work, modern production S&B ammo is not too hard to come by, and is reloadable.

Now what I kinda think would be cool, would be a 1911 style pistol in 7.62X25. OR a H&K MP5 type of rifle. Those would be pretty sweet.